Talk

Advanced search

Which large breed puppy food do you use?

(13 Posts)
SausagePies Thu 06-Nov-14 08:50:52

Any recomendations for puppy food for a large breed dog? She is currently on the free sample of Hills Science Plan that the vet gave us.
The vet was very very keen to stress she had to have the right food so she wouldn't grow too fast. My limited research so far has suggested that the more expensive foods are not necessarily the best (which is good!).
Any suggestions of foods, or even the best places to buy it from.

WienerDiva Thu 06-Nov-14 09:02:47

Hills is a pretty good food, you won't go too wrong with it.

Others are James Wellbeloved, Arden Grange, Royal Canin, Wainwright's, and a few more I don't remember the name of.

It also depends if you want a dry biscuit diet or a wet diet?

I found a dry diet more convenient and a good dry diet will be better for their teeth (especially something hills and they structure the biscuit in such a way that they don't linger on the tooth).

MrsBloodCurdlingscrEames Thu 06-Nov-14 09:04:43

Look up Millies wolf heart, best food out there imo. My lab puppy is thriving on it, really super food. I buy the gundog mix.

SausagePies Thu 06-Nov-14 10:38:37

Definately going to be dry food. We do a lot of travelling and dry is far more convenient. Also better for the teeth I believe.
I have discovered petplanet which seems to be quite reasonable prices I think.
Our last dog had poor hips, so I'm really want to get the first year right with food and exercise.

Isthatwhatdemonsdo Thu 06-Nov-14 13:48:14

Burns. www.justpets.net

tabulahrasa Thu 06-Nov-14 14:10:13

Way more important than using large breed specific food is to make sure you don't overfeed and don't let them put on weight too fast.

Hills is mostly made of maize...so I avoid it for that reason.

If you want specifically large breed puppy - Applaws, Acana and Canagan all do one that is way better quality and cheaper than Hills.

There's a comparison website that's a good place to look.

CleaninQueen Thu 06-Nov-14 16:20:49

Ours is raw fed

Lilcamper Thu 06-Nov-14 16:46:30

Raw is best for teeth.

SausagePies Fri 07-Nov-14 07:48:12

Ideally I would like to feed a raw diet, but at this stage we travel too much, don't have freezer space and I would worry about not getting the proportions or quantities right for a puppy.

WienerDiva Fri 07-Nov-14 09:00:56

Hills do a range called IdealBalance with no corn, wheat etc, the carb is brown rice.

It's true, maintaining the weight of the dog is good for making sure that arthritis doesn't cause a huge problem as it not over exercising the puppy as they are growing. Still nothing wrong with a large breed specific food though as many contain extra supplements to help promote healthy joint development. You can of course always add it separately to whatever diet you choose.

Any decent vet will listen to what your requirements are for your pup, budget and lifestyle and give you a list of foods that will be good for you.

Lilcamper Fri 07-Nov-14 09:29:53

Wiener, not necessarily. Vets are not nutritionists. They don't spend much time on nutrition at all during their education and a lot of colleges have big name brands actually sponsor their diet modules.

Dancingyogi Fri 07-Nov-14 10:59:00

I personally believe the best food to feed your dog is natural unprocessed food. I have no idea how pet food companies have managed to convince us that giving a dog something to eat is so bloody complicated.

WienerDiva Fri 07-Nov-14 11:36:24

I'm very aware that vets aren't nutritionists, worked in a 24hr veterinary hospital for years, but I'm trying to help the OP with what meets their specific needs. A natural unprocessed diet is better for dogs, cats and humans alike but it's sometimes not always practical. GPs aren't nutritionists for humans either, same as HVs for when it comes to weaning babies etc, they still have a pretty good idea as to what will be fine for the specific needs of the individuals based on circumstances etc.

Raw diets don't suit everyone, it wouldn't suit me if I still had a dog and I'd be looking at a dry kibble for my dog. That's what the OP is after so I'm trying to assist that way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now