Talk

Advanced search

Halti harness

(9 Posts)
MarcoPoloCX Wed 05-Nov-14 10:10:17

Has anyone tried these for training dogs not to pull? Are they any good?

Floralnomad Wed 05-Nov-14 12:36:42

I had one when my boy was small and it didn't work for us ,but I've tried a couple of front fastening harnesses and they had no effect on my dog . I also had a halti headcollar and didn't get on with that ,IME Canny Collars are much better . My dog is 4.6 now and walks very nicely on a Doxlock harness and loose lead ,provided I let him walk slightly ahead of me .

flymetotheprune Wed 05-Nov-14 12:42:30

I used the halti headcollar with great effect with my rescue lab. I don't need to use it now - only time she ever pulls is if she sees any type of wildlife (especially squirrels).

Dwerf Wed 05-Nov-14 12:50:57

I've twice used a halti headcollar. Once with a rottie cross, it lasted two minutes until she got it into her mouth and chewed through it. Definitely better on a dog with a longer muzzle. Now use one on a collie/lab cross and it has definitely helped with the pulling problem.

MrsBungle Wed 05-Nov-14 12:52:30

Works brilliantly with my Weimaraner.

mrslaughan Wed 05-Nov-14 19:29:27

I tried one when my dog was smaller (he's a giant so wasn't that smal 50-55kg), and it didn't work, this is because of a combination of his size and also maybe because they are a draughting dog - so bred to pull carts with a harness.
Found a halti far more effective

Christmascandles Wed 05-Nov-14 19:36:19

Yes worked well with my dobie.

crapcrapcrapcrap Thu 06-Nov-14 08:04:27

I might well get shot down for this but the only good way to stop a dog pulling is to train it to walk by your side. Headcollars stop a dog from expressing normal body language so can make walks stressful for them. I've seen very experienced and skilled trainers using them in specific situations to afford control over a dog's head, but in general I think anti pull headcollars and leads merely treat the symptoms and don't address the problem.
I say that as someone who is in the process of training a who has been allowed to pull all its life. I'm well aware it's much easier said than done smile

SweepTheHalls Thu 06-Nov-14 08:05:48

Use it all the time when walking my big labradoodle when with my children as well. It saves my sanity!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now