Talk

Advanced search

Collecting our new rescue dog today - hand holding needed!

(10 Posts)
whatismyusername Tue 04-Nov-14 10:02:21

We are collecting our staffi cross today for a weeks home trial. Have read up loads and got everything in place at home etc. Bed is in place waiting, are are the food and water bowls, poo bags and lead ready by the door... balls and toys...

Am just excited and nervous at the same time.... really hope he settles

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 04-Nov-14 10:05:57

Congratulations! Have you had dogs / staffis before? Do you know much about his background?

I'm sure you know all of this but just let him take his time. Be patient and don't crowd him.

We have had our rescue for nearly 3 years. She was badly abused and a complete wreck when we first took her in. She's doing her Kennel Club GCDS Silver Award next week. Helping a rescue dog have a second chance is amazing.

whatismyusername Tue 04-Nov-14 10:11:55

Have had dogs before, not staffis. DS (12) and I took him out the other day and he was fabulous - on and off lead and loved playing footie with DS. A dog warden had to force entry to a house to take him as he was being left for very long periods of time... thats as much as we know. He has been in kennels quite a long time.

I saw somewhere else about the Kennel Club awards so will look into that for later on once he's settled smile

acharmofgoldfinches Tue 04-Nov-14 10:25:22

how exciting, I'm sure s/he'll be fine, but don't be surprised if the new bed and toys are ignored to start with, if you think you're wired, that's probably nothing to what's going on in their head!

We've had two rescue cats so far, and best advice has been "let it go at their pace" and "keep it simple"; in our case for the first few days this meant persuading DH to leave the most recent arrival under the cupboard where she felt safe whilst she watched what was going on (he wanted her to come out and play with her new toys). Half way through the night when it was quiet ie when he was asleep and not likely to pounce on her grin she obviously had a good explore!

Obviously you'll need to go outside and play with the poo bags (you may not need those initially as sometimes they withhold due to stress), but otherwise gently does it. have a lovely day and enjoy your new pooch.

furbaby Tue 04-Nov-14 10:25:44

Hope all goes well and after the week he has a home with you for life .

whatismyusername Tue 04-Nov-14 16:48:22

I can just imagine the cat in hiding :D

He is flat out on his bed next to me. He ignored his new football when he first arrived but he absolutely loved the bed and started rolling excitedly around in it!! He also loved the carpet - probably a while since he's been on one bless his heart. He nearly pulled my arm off outside and I started to get a bit fearful [not good I know but I was scared to keep pulling him back]. I was seriously concerned when we were out walking thinking this is crazy but as soon as we got in the house he really was great. Think we will need some training classes as my hands are sore already! Oh, and we went outside in the garden and he pounced on the football and ran back inside to take it to his bed smile smile

acharmofgoldfinches Wed 05-Nov-14 16:03:46

Sounds lovely, hope the rest of the week is just as good and you and he both forget all about the possibility of going back to the rescue place grin

Training classes sound good too, I'm more of a cat person but I know from friends that dogs absolutely thrive when they know who is in charge/pack leader, ie you.

Fudgeface123 Wed 05-Nov-14 16:40:43

Defo get some training and get a harness...our doggy is a much better walker since we got that. We got it from Amazon and it's K9 Julius harness...apparently the police use them :-)

whatismyusername Thu 06-Nov-14 20:11:48

Just to say our little man has settled beautifully. He is totally zonked out snoring happpily on his new bed after much ball chasing today smile We just love him already!!

KiwiJude Fri 07-Nov-14 04:22:43

What a lucky dog he is smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now