Talk

Advanced search

Rescue an adult whippet x, or buy a purebred whippet puppy? Indecision!

(14 Posts)
KoalaDownUnder Tue 04-Nov-14 08:22:00

I need to choose between 2 dogs:

1. A 2-year-old female whippet cross rescue dog. The 'x' must have been something large as she is v big for a whippet. She has a number of behavioural problems, as she was rescued off the street, the main ones being jumping up and licking visitors to death and occasional urination in the house. However, she is a gorgeous girl with a lovely personality.

2. A purebred female whippet puppy. This became available just as I had decided to take the rescue dog. sad

I'm now in agonies over indecision over this.

Pros of the adult dog: I really like the idea of giving a rescued dog a second chance, rather than encouraging breeding (this is the main one). Plus, she's grown out of the puppy stage of chewing everything in sight, and her personality is a known quantity.

Pros of the puppy: Bringing it up from scratch; I've never had a pup. Teaching it good behaviours from the beginning. Will grow up to be smaller/more manageable (I live alone and only have a smallish house and yard). Will not shed fur. (Rescue, not being purebred, is quite a shedder).

Sorry for the length. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, as this is a really important decision for me. Thanks so much!

tabulahrasa Tue 04-Nov-14 08:31:58

Rescue....firstly puppies are horrible (I mean yes they're cute and all, but they're such hard work).

The behaviours you've said she has are ones that a puppy will be worse for anyway and I've found that adult dogs are quicker to train than puppies anyway.

Big for a whippet still sounds small to me and I don't care about shedding.

So I'd take the rescue.

inmyshoos Tue 04-Nov-14 08:45:50

Rescue every time.
Puppy is an unknown quantity like you say and could have bigger issues! I know you can start from 'scratch' with a pup but like children puppies have their own personality.
I have two rescues. A labx who we rescued at 4 and a collie pup rescued at 9 weeks. The labx has ingrained habits that are tricky but in most ways he is fabulous and easy. The 'blank canvas' has been far more trying and i have had 4 puppies before him so felt i knew what i was doing. His personality makes him harder work. He is up at the crack of dawn looking for his walk. He is like an alarm clock. I could do without that on a weekend. The labx will sleep until we get up but the collie starts to squeek as soon as it's 7.30 or before if one of the dc are up at loo.
I'd go with the rescue. She sounds lovely.
Good luck

cadidog Tue 04-Nov-14 08:46:29

The rescue. Every time. You won't regret it.

KoalaDownUnder Tue 04-Nov-14 09:00:17

Thank you all so much for the feedback.

To be honest, it has just pushed me the direction I was already leaning.

Having met that sweet (although unruly) rescue dog, I just don't think I can bear not to take her.

CMOTDibbler Tue 04-Nov-14 09:06:34

rescue. Puppies are a pita (stares hard at beautiful blue lurcher pup who is pretending he would never do anything), and you'll be able to teach her to not jump up and toilet outside. And you'd have to do those things with a puppy over a much longer period too

whatismyusername Tue 04-Nov-14 10:04:34

Koala - our rescue arrives today smile
Well done on your decision to take a rescue - its heartbreaking seeing them and I would much rather give one a lovely home than line a greedy breeders pocket

KoalaDownUnder Tue 04-Nov-14 12:35:46

Aw, whatis - well done to you, too! How exciting, getting your new friend today!

This thread gave me the push I needed, and then as soon as I emailed the rescue organisation to say I was taking her, I felt happy. smile I feel the same way you do, and I'm glad I went with my gut feeling.

whatismyusername Tue 04-Nov-14 15:05:41

Well he is here, lying on the floor next to me. Went for a walk and I can see he is tired but he is resisting sleep as I think he is too interested as to what is going on! Bless him smile When are you getting yours?

KoalaDownUnder Tue 04-Nov-14 15:56:13

Not for a few weeks, as I haven't even moved to the new pet-friendly house yet! blush I did put the cart before the horse a bit, but I've just been looking forward to having my own dog for so long.

What kind of dog is yours? Is he your first rescue pet?

whatismyusername Tue 04-Nov-14 16:20:06

He's a staffi cross and is my first rescue but not my first dog. Just taken him out again and my hands are sore from him pulling, think we need some training classes. Good as gold in the house though smile

EasyToEatTiger Tue 04-Nov-14 18:31:30

We've never had a puppy. Still managed to ahem 'lose' lots of shoes, knickers, socks, food etc. Rescue dogs come in so many shapes and sizes. We seem to be a doggy rehab.

KoalaDownUnder Wed 05-Nov-14 01:54:11

Oh, a staffi x sounds so sweet!

I think I'm going to have my work cut out with training my dog out of jumping. When I met her she almost smothered me, jumping as high as she could and trying to lick my entire face and neck, over and over. I've never come across anything like it. Her foster parents said they've been working on training her out of it, but it's a slow road.

There was absolutely no aggression there, though, just enthusiasm. Later, her foster dad picked her up and she curled round like a baby in his lap and tucked her head against his chest.

whatismyusername Wed 05-Nov-14 12:46:13

Wow, she sounds very loving and adorable! Nice that she is with foster parents rather than stuck in a kennel.

Our little man has been perfect in the house so far, really good overnight and no accidents. He just loves his new bed! Have already requested some help to get him better behaved outside (although this morning was bettter than yesterday). Just think its better to correct it now rather than further down the line smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now