Talk

Advanced search

Puppy petrified of fireworks :( Help please!

(6 Posts)
JulietBravoJuliet Sun 02-Nov-14 19:04:22

First night we've really had any fireworks close tonight, and Dpup is shaking so much he's vibrating the sofa, panting, drooling... Absolutely bloody petrified sad

Big dog couldn't care less and really needs a walk (won't go to the toilet in the gravel area outside, so needs to be physically walked to some grass).

I don't know what to do for the best. Dpup would be in a crate if I left him at home while I walked her, but he's currently trying to escape from every noise, has stitches in from being castrated on Wednesday, and I'm worried he'll do himself an injury while I'm out. But it seems incredibly cruel to make him come out when there's fireworks going off.

Other option is to take big dog out and leave 8yo ds at home with the pup, which he's fine with, and I'll only be 10 mins tops, but not sure he'll be much help keeping a very scared puppy calm. I've got the tv on loud, but we have a high, open plan ceiling with roof windows, plus no double glazing bloody listed building so the bangs are bloody loud and there's not much I can do to minimise it.

WWYD?

TooOldForGlitter Sun 02-Nov-14 20:02:50

If it was me I'd leave the puppy at home if it's just ten mins. Obviously you trust your 8yo to be sensible for ten minutes and I think the puppy would be more stressed by having to go out when bangs are louder.

JulietBravoJuliet Sun 02-Nov-14 21:00:58

I left him in the end, in his crate with a big blanket over next to the tv blaring away. He was ok, but very stressed sad Never had a dog that's scared of fireworks before, so I'm going to have to work on desensitising him a bit ready for next time.

deste Sun 02-Nov-14 22:18:02

Ours is coming up for four and hates all the bangs. He just barks and barks till he calms down and then of course they start again and he barks again. I have tried those collars but it didn't do any good.

Swifey Sun 02-Nov-14 22:21:16

A blanket over his crate may help, for another night, just so its dark and safe. I used to give mine done 'rescue remedy' too, if you have done lying around.

JulietBravoJuliet Sun 02-Nov-14 22:48:28

Yeah he's got a blanket over his crate all the time as it seems to help him settle. He's been curled up with his head hiding under a blanket all evening but at least he's calmed down now. He was literally climbing the walls earlier, trying to get away from the noise; I've for scratches all over my arms from trying to hold him. I was really worried about him bursting his stitches.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now