Talk

Advanced search

Building works and getting a puppy

(16 Posts)
pebbles77 Sun 02-Nov-14 16:59:23

I wonder if you can advise me please.

We have recently moved to the country and pretty much on top of our list as to why we moved is so we could get a dog.

The spanner in our works is that the house we have needs quite a bit of work doing to it. We are looking at starting work at Easter and we will be living in the house and it will probably be about 9 months worth of work.

Is it cruel for us to get a puppy now and for it to live through the works or do you think as long as s/he is with us and we provide a loving environment that it will be fine??

Any advice is muchly appreciately (although I think the correct answer may well break my heart!!!)

tabulahrasa Sun 02-Nov-14 17:24:59

I've never had building works so I could be wrong...but as long as you always have a safe secure room to keep a dog in I'm not seeing why it would be impossible.

CMOTDibbler Sun 02-Nov-14 17:30:26

Are you thinking of rehoming a puppy right now? Then they'd be 8 months ish by Easter, and that would be manageable - as long as you always have a safe room for them to be in that isn't too noisy/dusty.

I'd also make sure you crate train them, so that you have somewhere safe for them to go in rooms where you might not otherwise keep them on their own

ender Sun 02-Nov-14 17:36:49

Provided you've got easy access to garden/outside area for the half hourly toilet training trips should be fine. Puppies are very adaptable as long as they have their person with them - not good to leave pup alone with lots of noises and strange people around of course, so you'd need to make sure someone familiar was always there.

frozenmad Sun 02-Nov-14 18:03:09

I currently have an 8 month old puppy & had building work completed before getting her (4 month extension). I couldn't imagine going through both of them at the same time as they were both quite stressful at times. Builders tend to leave front doors/garden gates open as they're often in and out. They also leave tools around whilst working. Personally I wouldn't contemplate doing them at the same time & think you would enjoy your pup much more without the stress of builders in your house. Good luck with both ventures!

MiddletonPink Sun 02-Nov-14 18:51:47

Seriously don't do it.
I have done it twice and it was horrendous and very stressful.

You have to constantly know where the dog is so you know it's safe, not able to get out of the house, not getting up to mischief.

Then you have to trust builders/workmen to shut doors and close gates and not leave stuff out.

Do your work then get a dog smile

pebbles77 Sun 02-Nov-14 19:01:43

Thank you all for your advice. Although it pains me I do think the last 2 posters are right. Deep down i think i always knew this but i'm so so keen to get a dog that i was praying people would say they've done it and it's absolutely fine sad Thank you x

tabulahrasa Sun 02-Nov-14 19:12:12

"You have to constantly know where the dog is so you know it's safe, not able to get out of the house, not getting up to mischief."

See this is maybe why I'm not seeing an issue...I do always know exactly where my dog is, lol.

MiddletonPink Sun 02-Nov-14 19:38:26

Unless a dog is in a crate it's sometimes difficult to know where it is 100% of the time, kids opening door and letting it out of a secure room, neighbour walking in and not shutting door etc.

When you have children, a major project going on in the house and a dog/s it's quite easy for your mind to slip.

MiddletonPink Sun 02-Nov-14 19:40:06

OP don't be sad. You will have a lovely new house and a puppy that you can totally enjoy.

What breed do you like?

SpicyBear Sun 02-Nov-14 20:26:22

I agree it's a very bad idea for the reasons given. A young dog is especially likely to get themselves in trouble with tools, building materials and escaping. A sensitive dog will be very unsettled by the noise and comings and goings. We are having smaller works done for a couple of weeks here and there and it really is a pain, even with two calmer adult dogs and no children. Our builder recently did a job where the lab pup ate an entire bag of sand and was hospitalised.

tabulahrasa Sun 02-Nov-14 21:42:14

MiddletonPink...it wasn't a criticism, that was me going oh yes, other people have dogs they don't have to supervise like mine, I remember that, lol

MitchellMummy Mon 03-Nov-14 08:38:51

If you have a room with a door that you can lock then I'd say it would be fine. My dogs are both elderly now, but whenever we have builders/decorators in I always lock them in the one room and keep the key in my pocket. I do not trust any builders not to leave a door open. The last ones that were here were great, so I trusted them in the house whilst I went to a funeral, but locked the dogs away and kept the key. Would you be at home whilst the builders are in?

plannedshock Mon 03-Nov-14 08:50:50

We did it and I'm glad, because the pooing in the house and chewing things was all done on stuff that was going in skips anyway!!

pebbles77 Tue 04-Nov-14 10:17:20

We want to get a labrador. Having spent a couple of nights thinking about it the other issue is I will have to be out and about a lot choosing all the fixtures and fittings for the house and therefore won't be around as much as I feel I want/ought to be for a puppy. I know I just need to be patient but i'm just so so excited as i've always wanted a dog smile It'll come. Thank you all for your advice x

MiddletonPink Tue 04-Nov-14 20:18:39

Labs are lovely. You're doing the right thing in waiting.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: