Talk

Advanced search

pack theory is rubbish?

(6 Posts)
r2d2ismyidealman Sun 02-Nov-14 09:01:57

I'm new. Any guidance would be welcome. I've had a trainer who was all about pack theory but I just read on here that is old school. What is the current thinking called so that I can look it up?

Lilcamper Sun 02-Nov-14 09:30:23

This is a good place to start. why won't dominance die?

pigsDOfly Sun 02-Nov-14 13:24:15

You need to look for a trainer who teaches positive reinforcement ideal and possibly clicker training.

Positive reinforcement, used with or without the clicker, is a reward based training method in which you work with the dog rather than trying to dominate it.

It's way more effective than dominance methods and, more importantly kinder.

A lot of dominance methods of training will result in a fearful dog. Much better to train your dog to respond because you've made it worth his while than because he's frightened of the consequences if he doesn't.

crapcrapcrapcrap Sun 02-Nov-14 13:50:24

Pack and dominance concepts are based on a completely flawed and false understanding of a dog's motivation, so is never as successful a training method. If you can't understand (because you're attributing the wrong motivation to it) why your dog does what it does, how can you have a solid and resilient bond with your dog? Among many other reasons not to practise it.

BingoBonkers Mon 03-Nov-14 17:23:34

Check out an excellent FB group called Dog Training Advice and Support.

r2d2ismyidealman Mon 03-Nov-14 21:11:27

Thanks all for your input I'll follow up on the suggestions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now