Talk

Advanced search

Breed for us?

(6 Posts)
CleaninQueen Thu 30-Oct-14 17:53:53

We've currently got a American Bulldog & English Mastiff puppy. Can't be small as American bulldog thinks small dogs are rabbits. Any suggestions would be fab thanks smile

NetHuns Fri 31-Oct-14 08:24:04

What are you looking for in a breed?
Are you looking for another Molosser breed?
French Mastiff?Boxer??Neopolitan??

CleaninQueen Fri 31-Oct-14 09:58:52

Don't really want another mastiff, I grew up with boxers and they just have too much energy for us at the moment.

lemisscared Fri 31-Oct-14 10:02:51

I guess it depends on your family situation, i assume you don't have young children and the space for a third big dog? What about a labrador? italian spinone? Why do you want a third dog? Two is a nice dynamic

FluffyMcnuffy Sun 02-Nov-14 13:58:02

I personally wouldn't go with a third with those breeds.

EvenBetter Sun 02-Nov-14 20:12:55

I only know about bulldog's health problems and that Mastiffs average life expectancy is a shocking 5.5 years sad What do you want from a third dog, like what dynamic would you want? Would you be prepared to keep it separate from the other two if they don't like each other? Can you afford another, plus the vet care your current two will probably require during their lives? Is your car big enough to fit them all in? Would you be able to manage another one on walks etc?
My parents have two dogs, they're lovely, but intense. When my dog is there the dynamic changes to two dogs play fighting/verging on attacking each other, while the other just wants to be left alone completely. Walking all three is impossible and you have to watch them constantly. Sorry, not very helpful! I personally wouldn't get a pedigree dog, or anything other than a dog from a pound/shelter, so no advice in that area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now