Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Lab or golden retriever?

(24 Posts)
PeppaPigStinks Wed 22-Oct-14 16:08:46

Some may have seen we recently lost our golden retriever. She was the centre of our lifestyle and was included in all that we do. Life is not the same without her.

We have two young children.

I've seen a lab puppy. She fits the bill but she's not a golden which is what i thought she was.

What are the differences?

whatwoulddexterdo Wed 22-Oct-14 19:04:21

So sorry you have lost your dog. I have a goldie and already can't imagine my life without her.
Not sure that there is much difference between the 2 breeds other than their coats, with a goldie bring much silkier
I think it will just come down to temperament
Good luck

SqueakyChicken Wed 22-Oct-14 19:13:34

Bearing in mind that each dog is different, the general differences between the two breeds are (in my experience):

Goldens more sensitive (Guide dogs tend to cross the two, as they try and get the biddabillity of a Golden without sensitivity)
Labradors more hyper, less laid back
Labradors hair is needle like and sticks into everything, making it harder to clean!

Otherwise they're fairly similar, both love water and food (!), similar activity levels, and both have a distinct split between their show and working types.

For me, I would only have a Golden!

Toooldtobearsed Wed 22-Oct-14 19:21:48

I have had (and soon will have) both, at the same time.

Excuse my language here. Lab boys are nutters. Very, very loving and amenable but outright nutters. Totally adorable.

Goldie boys can be very, very obstinate. Goodie girls, on the other hand are very obstinate, but in a subtly different way, they get what they want with no standoffs. Still do not know how they achieve this, they are obviously cleverer than me grin

Both are filthy messy animals with hair that gets everywhere. Both will attempt to guilt you into 'just a morsel of food for a poor starving puppy' and both will definitely test you mettle with obeying commands (they definitely know best.

However they are the two BEST breeds possiblesmile

Toooldtobearsed Wed 22-Oct-14 19:23:17

Sorry about typos, lying in the bath with a glass of red blush

Isthatwhatdemonsdo Wed 22-Oct-14 19:32:04

I have a 9 month old black lab bitch and a two year old golden retriever lab cross boy.
The lab is absolutely bonkers. Much harder work than our lovely laid back goldie.
Both shed hair like it's going out of fashion, I hoover constantly. However I couldn't imagine life without them. I'm sure the puppy will calm down soon. As others have said both fab breeds.

Tootyfilou Wed 22-Oct-14 19:36:54

So sorry you have lost your dog. I had a lab as a child and he was fab,however have had goldies for the last 30 years and think they are the best dogs ever. Agree with stubborn though!

PeppaPigStinks Wed 22-Oct-14 21:18:28

Hmmmmi am wondering if the bonkersness of a lab is what is putting me off!

Goldies always seem more chilled compared to labs. Here though, goldies are twice the price of labs as well!

I'm so confused.

lavendersun Wed 22-Oct-14 21:24:12

OP we have the most wonderful lab who has never been bonkers, never chewed anything, actually never put a foot wrong in her 9 years (had her since 10 weeks old).

So don't be put off - there are good ones out there. Obviously genetics play a part but I think you can help 'make' a dog into what you want it to be.

PeppaPigStinks Wed 22-Oct-14 21:37:53

Thank you!
I'm also between bitch and dog! My last was a girl but just seen some flat coat retrievers but they only have boys left!

PeppaPigStinks Wed 22-Oct-14 21:59:42

Also what about flat coat retrievers?

basildonbond Wed 22-Oct-14 22:24:40

the flat coat retrievers we know are lovely, very bouncy and licky, but check the lines carefully as they're very prone to getting cancer quite young

lavendersun Wed 22-Oct-14 22:43:00

I only ever have girls .. dogs, horses, cats - they are always girls, always have been apart from one male stray cat and he was the wimpiest of them all - obv not generalising as I have only known one male cat!

Toooldtobearsed Thu 23-Oct-14 09:35:06

I have had both. I have always found that boys are a bit dense, but very, very loving and willing to please. Girls are a bit more independent and definitely more manipulativegrin

A bit like humans really!

I love both sexes because of their different personalities, but if I had to choose, it would be a boy.

In a lot of dogs the males are more loving and loyal than the females.

Tootyfilou Thu 23-Oct-14 14:37:56

I have always had males, they are lovely! Handsome big softies and very very loving.

PeppaPigStinks Mon 03-Nov-14 09:08:04

Meet Millie - A yellow lady lab!

cogitosum Mon 03-Nov-14 09:17:05

We had an AMAZING flatcoat she was absolutely lovely - probably the best temperament in a dog I've known (and we've also have really lovely goldies and an insane setter)

However she was riddled with health problems - and she came from good stock. I gather it's quite common for the breed so tread carefully. She got pancreatitis young and died at 7 from a heart tumour. sad

Toooldtobearsed Mon 03-Nov-14 09:24:46

Hooray!

Welcome Millie - she is gorgeoussmile

Now the trouble begins........

cogitosum Mon 03-Nov-14 10:25:30

Oh she's gorgeous! smile

Sorry for x post

lavendersun Mon 03-Nov-14 10:28:50

She is lovely OP, how old is she?

Tootyfilou Mon 03-Nov-14 14:16:07

She is very very beautiful.
Congratulations, hope you have many happy years together x

WilburIsSomePig Mon 03-Nov-14 22:51:27

I'm so glad you decided to get her, she's absolutely beautiful. I have an 18 month lab boy and yes he is bonkers, but i have never had a more loving, affectionate dog. He's a big baby really and though he chews anything that isn't nailed down, I wouldn't change him. I love him so much.

RudePepper Tue 04-Nov-14 00:01:17

Peppa you should put a warning in the title if you are going to post pictures like that smile. She is gorgeous - I want one now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now