Talk

Advanced search

Lands End Squall Coat

(15 Posts)
kippersmum Fri 03-Oct-14 00:30:29

I've seen various threads recommending them so when my parents offered to get me a coat for my birthday & Christmas present I had a look at the catalogue.

It says they are tested down to -34c!

Does anyone have one? I thought it would be the perfect coat for me but I'm worried I'll get far too hot. I'll be walking the dog in a bikini under the coat smile

I live in a very rural coastal location, freezing temps are rare, F10 gales & horizontal rain are common. Should I be considering other coats?

Suggestions please

TIA

mrslaughan Fri 03-Oct-14 16:17:56

They are that warm because they are designed for the states - I have a canada goose from when we lived in NYC and it would get down to that with wind chill - I was always toasty - but it is far to warm for me to wear in the uk. The lands ends coats are not as warm as the canada goose, so I don't think it will be too hot, esp in a windy wet situation.

What I will say is I always buy my kinds lands ends coat's because they are always warm and waterproof and really well made.

soddinghormones Fri 03-Oct-14 19:11:47

I have a sea salt raincoat, last year's version of this I think

It was perfect - kept me completely dry and wasn't too warm on milder days

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Fri 03-Oct-14 19:15:41

I have one and I use it for dog walking and watching the dc play sports. It's is waterproof and warm but not overly warm. I should
Imagine you will be fine with just less layers underneath. For sport watching I still need a couple of layers underneath as just stood in wind/rain watching but on dog walks where I'm moving I can wear just a long sleeved top under the coat.

I find the hood a bit big that's the only downside. And the sizing is generous so if you're a 12/14 say I'd go for the 12. It's not down to US sizing as it's listed on the UK site in UK sizes.

Scuttlebutter Fri 03-Oct-14 23:29:47

I have a Squall. It's amazing. It can withstand driving rain, and horizontal winds with ease. However, in damp Wales it is more often drizzly so I have a Lands End fleece which is also brilliant.

I'd say that if you are in an exposed coastal environment, then the Squall is perfect. I've had mine about 7/8 years - it is indestructible. Washes easily, comes out like new, copes with being slung in the back of the car with four greyhounds nesting in it.

My Lands End gilet is also very well used especially at this sort of time of year - again, excellent quality. Their outdoor stuff is not cheap, but it is all very good quality and lasts for years.

paddlenorapaddle Sat 04-Oct-14 00:15:49

I have mine for exactly this reason think North Sea gales it's ace dog walking on the beach at low tide what's great is that the coat meets the top of my Wellingtons so no cold knees iyswim

CountessRosinaAlmaviva Sat 04-Oct-14 00:38:05

I have a squall and it is warm, but I am naturally a very hot person so I often feel too warm. I still find it very usable because it ventilates well if it's unzipped, so I don't get sweaty in it. It's amazing value for money IMO, and more comfortable than some much more expensive coats.

WeAllHaveWings Sat 04-Oct-14 08:55:33

I was looking at Squalls too.

For those that have Squalls already, do you have a Landsend Squall and wear with layers or an Landsend Insulated Squall?

I was thinking the un-Insulated one probably better as would be good for Autumn/Spring too?

IsItFridayYetPlease Sat 04-Oct-14 09:40:55

I have one and I love it. I agree with what people say about varying layers depending on weather and your activity level. I umm-ed and ahh-ed over which length to go for in their range od squalls and ended up with a full length one as I feel the cold in my hamstring area when standing around at rugby. The pockets are great for the collection of stuff I take dog-walking so I don't need a bag.
I have several Landsend coats - a down coat, a down jacket, a waterproof light weight jacket, a squall and a smart wool coat - love them all!

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Sat 04-Oct-14 10:10:43

I think mine is the insulated one. It's slightly padded and fleece lined. I brought it in the sale. I like that it's plain black no logos etc. my north face one is too warm and even when I zip out the fleece it doesn't seem as breathable as the lands end.

kippersmum Tue 07-Oct-14 10:21:02

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Lands End Squall coat it is then smile

CountessRosinaAlmaviva Thu 09-Oct-14 16:03:53

If you haven't ordered it yet they have 20% off until midnight tonight. The code is BREEZY20.

LammilyDoll Sun 11-Jan-15 16:11:23

Just a heads-up about the big discounts at the moment
LandsEnd Squall with free postage too.

Kissesgingers Fri 23-Jan-15 16:34:49

Just had a toasty warm walk, it's -3 degrees out, but my lovely lands end coat, bought at bargain prices thanks to the tip off on here, kept the wind out and the warm in.

PetraStrorm Fri 23-Jan-15 17:25:52

Just ordered one thanks to this thread, paid £52 instead of £140. Bargain grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: