Talk

Advanced search

Dog chewing her kennel door - what can we put on it to stop her chewing?

(12 Posts)
MrsMcGregor Fri 21-Mar-14 13:34:20

Have tried creosote but she still chews. The door is wrecked - its a new kennel and we not want her chewing the rest of it. She is in a large run with plenty of toys, gets 4-5 walks each day (some are short but at least two are 'proper', long walks with off lead time. I imagine she's bored but at the moment it's not possible to fit any more walks in. Is there anything we can use to treat the wood which will taste horrible to her?

Thanks

Rooners Fri 21-Mar-14 13:45:38

Not sure if it might cause injury, but I've found covering a wooden surface with grid wire stops things chewing it (thinking of rats/foxes)

I wouldn't want to suggest anything that could harm your dog though.

Not chicken wire btw - that will break and cause sharp bits to poke out.

Grid wire is the square stuff. You would have to attach it on somehow.

Or could you replace the door with some sort of metal gate?

Patchouli Fri 21-Mar-14 13:59:06

Has she got things to chew?
(Silly question probably)

Mitchy1nge Fri 21-Mar-14 13:59:40

cribbox?

additionally could you stuff a large kong to keep her occupied? is she young? what sort of dog is she?

Pointeshoes Fri 21-Mar-14 14:01:34

She probably doesn't like been in a kennel.

Mitchy1nge Fri 21-Mar-14 14:17:14

wondered about breeds because for some being physically worn out is not enough, they need mentally stimulating work to do too

am sure there are lots of things you can do to enrich her life during all the time she's not in the kennel

MelanieCheeks Fri 21-Mar-14 14:20:23

We have a problem with one of my dogs chewing the vents from the tumble drier extractor. We've used petroleum jelly with cayenne pepper mixed it as a disuasive coating.

MrsMcGregor Fri 21-Mar-14 15:35:28

Thank you all. She's a 10 month old Lab. And yes, I'd say he doesn't like being in her run but just to clarify, she isn't locked in her kennel. It is attached to a decent sized run. She has bones, chews, activity ball, a kong, so plenty of toys. I think Mitch is onto something re stimulation - we could try turning one walk into a training session and that might tire her mentally a little.

What is a crib box please?

Melanie, that sounds like a very interesting concoction! And worth trying.

Mitchy1nge Fri 21-Mar-14 15:42:08

cribbox (actually think it's spelled cribox) is horrible gunk used to stop horses chewing wood - I tasted it once thinking 'how bad can it be, realistically?' grin

CQ Fri 21-Mar-14 15:44:00

She probably wants some human company sad

MrsMcGregor Fri 21-Mar-14 16:01:08

Thanks for the helpful replies.

She gets human company CQ.

nuttymutty1 Fri 21-Mar-14 17:16:09

I would definitely be working on the cause not the symptom. If you do not deal with this she will just transfer her behaviour to something else or alternative behaviour that may be even worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now