Talk

Advanced search

Dangerous Dogs TV programme

(16 Posts)
LadyTurmoil Thu 20-Mar-14 22:58:39

I'm just catching up on this programme. What does everyone think about it?

I can't believe the dog wardens don't come equipped with food/water to assist in taking a dog out of a house.

I can't believe they can't take away litter of puppies when the "owner" was obviously completely incapable of looking after them (and himself) properly

Poor bloody dogs.

yesbutnobut Thu 20-Mar-14 23:14:29

I agree. The way they treated that poor akita and I couldn't believe they put those 2 starved ridgebacks in one kennel and expected them to share a bowl - of course they'd be aggressive. Very sad situation with that man - and the mother of the pups was so friendly despite what a miserable life she leads. The problem is, if you took the pups away, he'd go and buy another one down the pub. I didn't think it established anything about dangerous dogs - just irresponsible or cruel owners.

randomfemale Thu 20-Mar-14 23:24:57

That programme made me very angry and very sad. Fucking laws of this land make me want to puke my guts up. Poor dogs. That starved staffie was so friendly and wagging its pathetic stub of a tail despite being close to death. Makes me feel ashamed to be part of the so called superior human race!

Owllady Fri 21-Mar-14 08:31:46

I felt rather violated tbh sad
We all know some people lead dysfunctional lives but it's quite another seeing it as a viewer with added dogs to the scenario. It felt voyeuristic sad
I don't think it's fair to criticise the dog warden, they work with the training they are given. They have to deal with situations outside of most people's comprehension involving volatile and vulnerable individuals in horrendous living conditions and remove dogs that are also volatile.
I thought how they got the akita out was cruel too, I found it distressing to watch but I think they were put in a situation where the dog had to be removed and they had to put their own safety first whilst climbing through heaven knows what (needles, glass, various rubbish) to get to it sad it was just awful

VetNurse Fri 21-Mar-14 08:48:24

The way the Akita was dealt with wasn't very nice but what else were they supposed to do? Having a big aggressive dog lunging at you is terrifying. If they couldn't have got it out I bet the next thing would have been to get the police involved who would probably shoot it. At least he was rescued, rehabilitated and found a nice home.

I think we should start shooting people who do this to dogs sad

yesbutnobut Fri 21-Mar-14 09:01:10

It was clear that 'dangerous dogs' are actually 'abused dogs' - the programme was odd in that it claimed to be about how there are more and more attacks by dogs when in fact all it showed was what horrible people there are out there. The fact that these dogs were so trusting despite what they'd been through was testament to that.

Owllady Fri 21-Mar-14 09:20:27

Maybe the program was trying to show that? It just showed dangerous owners sad

I know someone who was horrendously attacked by an akita. I would protect myself first and foremost too (and the akita who attacked who we know, was shot at the scene by the police)

ender Fri 21-Mar-14 09:26:02

Very upsetting, I had to stop watching when the warden put the 2 starving dogs in a cage together and gave food in one small bowl, no wonder they were fighting sad

Fontofnowt Fri 21-Mar-14 09:31:40

The warden trying to catch the akita had previously been badly bitten so was mindful of the dangers.
As distressing as it was to watch I think the wardens did a good job under shitty circumstances.
Giving the akita a rest and a good drink when he was out of the house was her main priority.
The dog was guarding the house the potential for biting was there.
Now the scummy cunts who leave dogs like that should be banned from keeping animals completely.
Neutered too.

noddingoff Fri 21-Mar-14 12:44:07

I thought the wardens did a great job. Going into the house with the Akita was brave. I know it was hard on the dog dragging it out but they couldn't afford to lose control in that narrow, shit-filled hallway.
Can you imagine doing that job all day, dealing with people ranging from the mentally not-there like the chap with the bull terrier pups to the charmer whose dog crapped on the grass? Never knowing which dog is going to be the one that launches at your face?
I think the most depressing thing would be knowing that none of those people are ever going to turn into sensible responsible dog owners and the whole thing is just going to go on and on.

LadyTurmoil Fri 21-Mar-14 12:53:14

Agree with all the above comments and realise it's a very difficult job and I shouldn't judge but I had wondered if they could have used meat laced with a sedative for the Akita or something like that. They just didn't seem to be very well trained operatives.

I wish the programme had made clear who the guy was looking after the 2 starved dogs (who fought when they got the food in 1 bowl). Was it a pound, kennels used as a pound by the council. I think it could give people the wrong idea that it was an actual dog rescue - thought they could have structured the programme much more seriously with dog behaviourists talking, vets and so on. Instead, it was more "neighbour from hell with a dog" kind of voyeurism.

Owllady Fri 21-Mar-14 12:54:53

The chap who was an alcoholic though, his dogs really loved him sad

Fontofnowt Fri 21-Mar-14 12:59:26

I agree it could have shown us the process better so we understand the restrictions.
Why did they have to make 6 visits (with no action) to the bull terrier breeder?
Surely the time and resources could be better spent.
And the fouler would have had the offending turd thrust down his throat.
How can it be ok that a horror like him be allowed a pet.

noddingoff Fri 21-Mar-14 15:16:15

Ladyturmoil, that's a good idea but there are some drawbacks. Sedatives have to be prescribed by a vet and I don't think dog wardens are allowed to keep a bottle of tablets in the van to use when they need to. The council probably couldn't afford to get a vet out to supervise every time the wardens come across a dog acting aggressively. Also, the effect of oral sedatives can be very unpredictable - a dose which might make one Akita keel over might have very little effect on another. If the sedatives killed the dog and a vet was not present then there could be accusations and legal threats thrown around. The catch pole could have choked the dog, but at least they were able to loosen it quickly when they got the dog outside.

Owllady Fri 21-Mar-14 16:17:22

They would need the dogs weight too, I think?
Plus that would be a heavy dog to have to possibly lift through all that rubbish.

It's depressing isn't it. Not just the poor dogs, but how people live too. I sometimes forget how lucky we are (and normal despite the fact we have both had difficult starts and trauma)

LadyTurmoil Fri 21-Mar-14 17:35:12

Thanks nodding - I didn't know enough about sedatives which is why I was hoping someone would come along with more info! Interesting response here www.ndwa.co.uk/dogwarden-news-events/news/?news-id=101 It seems, as with many things, the job role/structure/career progression has been watered down to save money... therefore lack of training and equipment. However, that doesn't cover lack of common sense and knowledge shown in the programme. Disappointed that it didn't address lack of laws/enforcement whether by councils or police in such cases.

As you said owl a real eyeopener as to how some people live. I don't watch Benefits Street or Neighbours from Hell type programmes. You kind of know it goes on, but it's really unbelievable. I'm no domestic goddess but how can you live in a house with pee/poo and let dogs get in such a state. Truly dysfunctional and it will just go on and on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now