Talk

Advanced search

DH driving me mad

(12 Posts)
littlewhitebag Thu 20-Mar-14 21:56:13

We have a Labrador. She is not quite 2. At night we put her out for a wee and when i do this i always wait and watch until she has wee'd then bring her in. DH has, on a number of occasions, put her out, wandered off, and is not aware if she has wee'd or not. This makes me mad. Should i be cross about this? It can take time and in the winter it is cold when waiting and watching but i think we should know if she has gone or not. Is this an unreasonable request?

fanoftheinvisibleman Fri 21-Mar-14 07:53:08

I don't go out with mine and haven't since he was about 4 months and reliably toilet trained for a good month or so.

I don't know how hw achieved it but it is a very business like affair...out, cock leg on first available peeable spot, in, bedtime treat and takes himself off to bed.

tabulahrasa Fri 21-Mar-14 08:01:53

Mine pees on command, but I really only use that if I'm getting him to go before I go out and leave him or if he's asleep when I'm on my way to bed.

Mostly I figure he knows the routine at bedtime and if he chooses not to go that's his problem, lol. Sometimes he doesn't want to go out at night - if it's raining, he's not extra bursting in the morning...

I wouldn't worry about it tbh.

Branleuse Fri 21-Mar-14 08:05:27

are you so controlling in other areas?

does your dog pee inside the house?

desperateforaholiday Fri 21-Mar-14 08:08:55

We've got a lab, he's 4 months old today, he goes out at 11, back in at 10 past, has a treat then goes to bed, when we were training him we used to stand outside with him but we don't need to now. He knows the routine and we generally don't have any accidents now.

Merrylegs Fri 21-Mar-14 08:15:39

Well, presumably the dog knows why it's being let out? Does your standing there make a difference to whether it wees or not? Surely you let the dog out, it wees, it comes back in? Does it really need a cheering squad? It should know the drill by now. On the occasions when DH has not policed the wee, has the dog then weed in the house?

Booboostoo Fri 21-Mar-14 09:05:13

I have the same problem! I have a 'difficult pee-er' dog who needs to be encouraged, supervised and rewarded. I do all this, which makes it easier for her to go next time. DP shoves her out the door and she stays on the other side wingeing, she then wakes ME up in the middle of the night to take her out!

People don't really understand the problem until they have a bladder shy dog that hates the rain, the wet, the wind! All of my other dogs can be relied upon to just get on with it, but not this one and I've had one like this before!

Floralnomad Fri 21-Mar-14 09:10:35

I don't go out with mine ,he wees on command but I don't use it at night . The routine is him out ,door closed ,I fetch the gravy bones ,let him in , he goes to bed ,lights off ,we go to bed .

littlewhitebag Fri 21-Mar-14 09:14:15

Sometimes she is out, pees and back in quickly. Other times she wanders the garden having a good sniff or she just sits peacefully surveying her territory. She knows once she is back in and gets her biscuit that it is then into her crate for the night.

She never pees in the house and never whines during the night. It is more peace of mind for me that i know she has gone. That is the final bit of my evening routine then i can go to bed and go to sleep.

I don't think i am controlling at all. That is just the night time routine in our house.

Catsmamma Fri 21-Mar-14 09:22:07

why is this making you so mad? Is the dog asking to go out in the night, because surely it's a simple case of pointing out to dh that he needs to go back out with her at 3am A couple of nights like that should focus his mind into making sure she goes at bedtime

Of my two Zac will pee every single time you send him out, even to the point of pretending...he is so eager to please. Kelly on the other hand has a bladder of steel and if it is raining, a bit windy, or he just is being difficult he will sit and look at you.

We tend to watch the puppies to be sure of what they have done, just so you know if any night time restlessness is just fidgeting or something more. But we have had pups that like bit of privacy, so watching them doesn't help.

Catsmamma Fri 21-Mar-14 09:23:16

oh...crossposted. If she is not fussing in the night then you are being a bit YIKES about it.

littlewhitebag Fri 21-Mar-14 09:24:25

catsmamma You are right. If she needs out in the night he can get up and sort it out. I will let go and chill out on this one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now