Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a good meat grinder that can grind bones.

(8 Posts)
Butterflylovers Thu 20-Mar-14 10:05:39

Looking for one as the little ones gulp and swallow their food. I have been holding the chicken wings while they chew but It can be messy so I'm thinking of just feeding them grounded bones.

ender Thu 20-Mar-14 14:03:05

No idea about a meat grinder but it seems a shame to grind the bones up, I thought one of the good things about raw feeding was for dogs to be able to enjoy the experience of crunching meaty bones. Also good for cleaning teeth.
Dogs don't chew, they just bite food into pieces small enough to swallow then gulp it down, if it doesn't go down they bring it up and have another go. Chicken wings are small enough for many dogs to swallow whole. Never done my dogs any harm but maybe a bit pointy for a small dogs not used to raw food.
You could try something bigger like chicken quarters or pork ribs for them to practice on, might take a while but they'll learn.

tabulahrasa Thu 20-Mar-14 14:10:46

If they're not cracking up the bones in chicken wings before they swallow them - I'd be giving them bigger things.

Floralnomad Thu 20-Mar-14 15:23:17

I've always been told that you shouldn't hold bones / antlers etc for dogs whilst they are chewing them as it enables them to bite down harder and can cause them to damage their teeth . I've swapped from chicken wings to drumsticks to slow my terrier down and I also feed them frozen which helps .

Butterflylovers Thu 20-Mar-14 15:51:41

I have 2 dogs.
One much smaller than the other one.
8kg vs 14kg.
Feeding the smaller one chicken wings is fine, just that the bigger one will gulp it down.
Makes me worry that it might cause an obstruction or whatever.
Will try and give the bigger one pork ribs but will stick to chicken wings with the other one as he has quite a small mouth, not sure he will be able to crack pork ribs.

fanoftheinvisibleman Thu 20-Mar-14 16:21:41

My 8kg has no problem with pork, lamb or beef ribs Butterfly.

tabulahrasa Thu 20-Mar-14 17:10:26

Floral - I think holding them is advised when you're switching over or for puppies, just till they get the hang of it to make sure they're not swallowing things whole.

Butterfly...I have a much bigger dog, but I know when I looked into it it was a case of if they can swallow it without having to crunch the bone, it's too small for them. I only feed wings frozen together in fours, you could try freezing a couple together for the bigger dog, though that won't work if it eats slowly and they start to defrost.

Butterflylovers Thu 20-Mar-14 17:29:34

Forgot to mention they are pups. Small one is almost 10 months. The other is 6.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now