Talk

Advanced search

Epping Forest? And Grantham?

(8 Posts)
SilverShadows Mon 17-Mar-14 16:25:33

I'm going on a long car journey soon with the dogs and am looking to find dog friendly spaces I can walk them en-route. The journey is several hours so want to let them have a good romp around off lead when we stop.

Is Epping Forest dog friendly? If not can anyone suggest somewhere decent?
We are travelling from the South Coast around the M25, over the Dartford Crossing and joining the M11 travelling north, so anywhere not too far out of our way just after the M25/M11 junction would suit.

Equally, is there somewhere around Grantham just off the A1?
We will only be an hour or so away from our destination so a local park where they can stretch their legs for 10-20 mins would do fine, assuming they could be off lead.

Fully expecting to be stopping at services in addition to these stops, but that will be a quick wee break whilst on lead - wont really burn off pent up energy.

Sixgeese Mon 17-Mar-14 16:37:26

Epping Forest is dog friendly. It is huge forest ranging from Chingford to Epping with lots of small car parks and trails through it. While I don't have a dog we often walk DS or my friends dogs in it. There are no lead rules in the forest but also not many poo bin (they tend to be just at the carparks).

If you come off the M25 at junction 26, and head towards Epping / Loughton you will end up driving through the Forest so it will just finding somewhere to stop. Then if you drive through Epping towards Harlow you can pick up the M11 there.

SilverShadows Tue 18-Mar-14 09:20:01

That is so helpful Sixgeese, thank you.

throckenholt Tue 18-Mar-14 09:23:38

Twyford Wood - bit south of Grantham - haven't been there but it looks good.

throckenholt Tue 18-Mar-14 09:24:44

or a bit further south and a bit further off the A1 is Rutland Water.

Papaluigi Wed 19-Mar-14 22:22:05

Lovely big, trailed, dog friendly Hatfield forest, jus off m11.

EasyToEatTiger Thu 20-Mar-14 18:19:55

Both Epping and Hatfield are fantastic, bloody brilliant doggy places. I miss them terribly now we are in a different part of the country.

yesbutnobut Thu 20-Mar-14 21:16:29

Epping Forest is great but you may come across ponies/horses there and that may or not be ok with your dogs (not ok with mine!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now