Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone got a toy yorkshire terrier please?

(13 Posts)
NewName123 Fri 28-Feb-14 15:57:30

Or can recommend a breeder or have any advice please?

MadamBatShit Fri 28-Feb-14 16:01:51

Please please please do not get a toy breed! Please get a decent sized dog that can lead a proper dogs life. I had a rescue yorkie and they have great character but please pretty please with sugar and all the trimmings... there are NO good breeders of toy dogs, find yourself a good breeder of well shaped dogs!

NewName123 Fri 28-Feb-14 16:21:36

why?

MadamBatShit Fri 28-Feb-14 16:34:32

A toy yorkie is not a breed. What is done is take a malformation (being too small) and breed from that. A yorkie is small enough as it is, mine was about 7 pounds or 3 kg. A teacup one, or toy as you might name is, is about half that. They are poorly and sad. You will not find a reputable kennel breeding them as they are without pedigree due to their size. It is breeding with runts, without papers and puppy farm style breeding in most cases.
Please look further into what you are looking for!

MothershipG Fri 28-Feb-14 16:37:37

I think what Madam means is don't buy a dog that is described as 'teacup' or where they try to make it's tiny size a selling point. These dogs are often what would have been described as the runts of a litter and often had associated health issues.

As a starting point this article is a good read.

Then you could look at the KC and Champdog websites.

Obviously steer clear of pet shops and ads on gumtree and any breeder that isn't prepared to be responsible for every single puppy they breed for its entire life.

MadamBatShit Fri 28-Feb-14 16:43:57

Yes Mother
One of the issues with tiny dogs is syringomyelia, where their brains are too big for their skull, very painful.

MothershipG Fri 28-Feb-14 16:50:58

Of course the breed Yorkshire Terrier is part of the toy dog group see KC site here and there is nothing wrong with toy dogs as a group.

Personally I'd recommend Affenpinschers if you're after something small but sturdy, not that I'm biased! wink

NewName123 Fri 28-Feb-14 16:53:11

thank you every one this is all good information, don't worry I am not rushing into anything. One breeder I have spoken to is KC registered and agreed not to look at anything labelled tea cup

MadamBatShit Fri 28-Feb-14 16:56:13

Sure, that's true. It's just that I was jumping to conclusions! blush

MadamBatShit Fri 28-Feb-14 16:57:42

cross post,

Okay NewName, good luck finding yourself a dog!

Ludoole Sat 01-Mar-14 01:56:59

I have a gorgeous 5 and a half pound pedigree yorkie smile.
Hands down the loveliest natured dog I have ever met!

Agree with pp to avoid 'teacup' sized yorkies though.

LadyTurmoil Sat 01-Mar-14 11:20:25

Many, many ex-breeding Yorkies in rescues. They often come to rescues in an absolutely awful state.

If you're talking to breeders, try and find out if they KC register ALL their litters. Sometimes, they will register one litter and then not register another litter that same year. It means they look good but in fact the bitches are having far too many litters per year.

Aquelven Sat 01-Mar-14 19:04:15

I have Yorkies, had them for years along with my bigger Skyes.
There is no such thing as a "toy" Yorkie. All Yorkshire Terriers are part of the toy group as specified by the Kennel Club. The breed standard states 7lb as the top weight,& they need to be this or slightly under to win at shows, but many Yorkies turn out to be over this & make very good, more robust family pets. It's inevitable that you will get some of these larger ones, even if you mate two small ones, as Yorkies originated from much bigger terrier breeds, the Waterside, Clydesdale & Paisley terriers ( all extinct now) & the early Yorkies were all much bigger, around 14lbs, than now. Yorkies are a relatively new breed, at just over a hundred years old, so the size isn't fixed like in many much more ancient small breeds like the Pekingese or Maltese & so you get quite a big variation in size still.

To get a healthy puppy, much more important than just size, your very best route is to contact the secretaries of some of the Yorkie breed clubs, all contact numbers can be found on the Kennel Club website, & ask them if any members have litters due. You will find that once on the grapevine of reputable breeders you will be passed along to someone who can help you. You may have to wait, I know that with Skyes ( an At Risk Native Breed) we have waiting lists, & expect to be as interrogated by a good breeder just as much as you will want to interrogate them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now