Talk

Advanced search

Anyone used a thundershirt?

(4 Posts)
musicposy Fri 28-Feb-14 10:42:26

Hi there, we've just adopted an ex breeding bitch who is very frightened. She is coming out of her shell little by little and I am prepared that it is going to take a very long time. Everything spooks her, every noise, every movement.
I wondered if anyone had ever used a thundershirt on an anxious dog and whether it helped. It's a lot of money to spend only to find she is more scared of the shirt, or it does nothing. But I'm willing to try anything that helps her.

MrsSquirrel Fri 28-Feb-14 13:41:06

I use one for my rescue staffy around fireworks season. It's not a miracle cure, but does help.

Before when fireworks were going off, she would get scared and then stay scared for hours after the bangs stopped. With the thundershirt on, she is still scared by the bangs, but calms down much quicker when they stop.

I put it on her every now and again when we are relaxing on the sofa, so she doesn't come to associate it only with being frightened.

Goldencity1 Fri 28-Feb-14 15:46:04

We were talking about these at training class last week. I don't have any personal experience with them, but the trainer said the can help with some dogs, you just had to try it to find out. One person there said they had helped her nervy dog, another that they hadn't helped hers.

Marrow Fri 28-Feb-14 19:29:48

We have a thundershirt for our excitable, hyperactive puppy. I was very sceptical about it but I have to say it works wonders. He finds it hard to settle and always seems wired. As soon as we put the shirt on him he
calms down and visibly relaxes.

They come with a money back guarantee so you've got nothing to lose by trying one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now