Talk

Advanced search

How do I deal with shih tzu snapping

(2 Posts)
Excitedforxmas Fri 28-Feb-14 09:53:03

Our usually quite placid 8 month old shih tzu took a yogurt pot out the bin today . My dd tried to take it off her and she turned round quickly and snapped at her. Didn't get her as dh grabbed her and put her in her crate. I gave her the pot again an hour later and removed it and she didn't snap. How do I deal with this? She's just finishing her first season if that helps

MothershipG Fri 28-Feb-14 17:10:13

At that age and with all those hormones flying around she's got a lot going on, also remember she is maturing now so your previously easygoing puppy might start trying it on.

So basically you need to ramp up the training, presumably she's had limited opportunities for exercise recently so now would be an excellent time to get her using her brain. Have you tried clicker training? Get a book or look online, there are loads of vids on youtube, the kikopup ones are often recommended.

How old is your DD? If she's old enough it's a really good idea to get her involved in the training.

For this kind of resource guarding you need to do lots of swaps. Let her have something relatively low value then swap it for something higher value until she is comfortable about you taking things off her as she knows she'll get something better!

If you put the work in I'm sure you'll be able to nip this in the bud, but in the meantime don't put your dog or DD in that position again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now