Talk

Advanced search

cheapest way to flea and worm dog?

(16 Posts)
youbethemummylion Wed 26-Feb-14 20:18:39

So trial dog is no longer trial dog she is permanent dog. What is the cheapest way to fle and worm her? Buy in bulk from internet, buy at the supermarket, buy at the vets? If the internet which site/products? feeling overwhelmed by the choice!

lljkk Wed 26-Feb-14 20:20:16

Depends which products, I've heard that you can get free checks & a full prescript from Pets @ home if you catch their vet, which makes it cheapest way to buy the best quality flea control.

Else shop around online!
Sometimes our local pharmacies or vets do good deals (like 8 for the price of 6 type deal).

CaptainTripps Wed 26-Feb-14 22:00:40

Depends which products, I've heard that you can get free checks & a full prescript from Pets @ home if you catch their vet, which makes it cheapest way to buy the best quality flea control.

What on earth does this mean?

fanoftheinvisibleman Wed 26-Feb-14 22:11:51

I'm presuming the poster means that the vets at pets at home (I think some stores have vets surgeries within?)don't charge a consult fee for flea and worms? Lots of vets don't charge. Ours doesn't.

lljkk Thu 27-Feb-14 07:32:56

Sorry, cheapest way for me to get prescription meds from the vet is to take pet for booster jabs every 14 months (£41 each); this includes a "free health check" (normally £26). With health check within last year and up to date jabs, I can get the prescrip-only meds OTC any time in last year from same vet.

Supposedly if you go to P@H the vet waives the consult fee (fee to get a prescription) but only if you buy the prescript meds from P@H on the spot. This could be convenient for some (isn't for me).

If someone can get prescript meds without paying a consult fee that sounds great, too! Worth a phone call. Apparently some people can get the prescription chit for cheap, too from a real vet, and still order the flea meds online, but none of our local vets offer that option.

DaddysBigTummy Thu 27-Feb-14 11:56:39

Advocate is one treatment for fleas and worms. You need to get it on prescription from vet though I think. It's £30 for 3 doses but probably works out cheaper than separate flea and worm treatments and it also does lung worm which is handy cos my puppy does love to bring me a lovely fat slug in his mouth from time to time!

bakingtins Thu 27-Feb-14 12:27:37

Vets are obliged to offer you a written prescription if you request it, though they can charge for writing it. We charge £12, but that would allow you several repeats. Before selling you prescription only flea treatment (or writing a prescription for it) they need to have examined the animal - we do that either at an annual health check (included in the price of the booster vaccination) or at a free flea check. The best thing is to discuss with your vet what the best combination would be for your pet, because the risk factors will vary with area and lifestyle.
Advocate as DTM suggested is a good starting point for many dogs as it covers fleas, many intestinal worms and lungworm, but you would need additional tapewormer and you might need a product for ticks.

bakingtins Thu 27-Feb-14 12:28:35

Buying cheap supermarket products is usually false economy - it might cost you a lot of money when they don't work.

DaddysBigTummy Thu 27-Feb-14 12:31:26

bakingtins I have Drontal aswell so should I use that alongside the advocate?

bakingtins Thu 27-Feb-14 14:33:23

Yes - we usually recommend using drontal every 6 months if they are on advocate. Mostly tapeworms are picked up from fleas so if they are on regular flea treatment less likely to get them, but potentially could be picked up from hunting/scavenging as well.

needastrongone Thu 27-Feb-14 15:34:28

You could investigate whether your vet run any form of scheme covering flea and worming treatments.

I have both my dogs covered, ddog1 is on their 'platinum cover' as he's an accident prone little sod, whereas the puppy just has standard cover.

The plan covers all vaccinations, including the first injections if you have a puppy, all worming and flea treatments, 6 monthly checks, blood tests (can't remember how often or what for tbh!), nail clipping, ear and anal gland cleaning, and a number of vet consultations, depending on level on cover (ddog1 is on unlimited!!!)

Cost depends on size of dog and level of cover but I pay about £12 a month for the puppy and £16 ish for ddog1.

It's not for everyone, but I like the security of having it all under one package, the free advice, and the text reminders in particular smile

bakewelltartandcustard Thu 27-Feb-14 20:45:59

Vet cover sounds a rip off. Healthy dogs don't need any of the above except vaccinations and treatment for parasites as necessary.
Insurance for vets' fees is more important.

needastrongone Thu 27-Feb-14 21:33:49

Thank you for your considered opinion bakewell..

Our 16 month springer has been to the vet more times than I could have possibly imagined in his short life. He is perfectly healthy, in fact, he's only ever been once for illness, all his other many times are for injury, some serious, requiring the insurance to be involved, some less so, but still requiring a vet to be involved.

Indeed, things like kennel cough, which is a requirement for any dog going to stay in kennels is covered within our plan, I imagine that a vet would charge for such a consulatation.

I did say to the OP it's not for everyone, just something to consider as an option, I like the security as I worry to much about the dogs smile, others I imagine, are perfectly happy without it.

My experience with ddog1 has changed my stance somewhat to what is 'value for money' or not smile

WeAllHaveWings Fri 28-Feb-14 13:25:27

we have our lab pup on a health plan @ £13 a month. its worked out best for us this year as its covered:

- puppy/annual vaccinations free & 20% off kennel cough (£50 + £6)
- microchipping (£16)
- 2 health checks (£??)
- all parasite control (monthly advocate and drontal 6 monthly)
- 15% off neutering (think that saved around £20)
- 2 x consult fee when pup had an infection in nose (although that's not on the health plan paper work but they gave it to me as it was something minor) (I did pay for anti-b's)

So for my £156 a year I've certainly come out better off.

Not sure if I will do it on-going though now some of the one-off costs have been covered.

youbethemummylion Fri 28-Feb-14 16:06:57

Thanks everyone Drontal and Advocate seem to be the best treatments and I have found them online however the dosage info ive found advises on dosage for 10kg dog then 15kg dog she is 11.9kgs so would we go for the 10kg or 15kg dosage?

fanoftheinvisibleman Fri 28-Feb-14 16:53:35

I'm with you needa...I am happy to pay for a �9.99 vet plan at ours too, and that is without parasite control. But it includes all consults and nurse clinic services and vax. My healthy dog has had all manner of minor things from paws to eyes that have come in under the 60 quid excess of ins. We have only had it 6 or 7 months and are already even for the years outlay. Some years they may make, some I will. But some of us would rather know where we stand on a monthly basis without worrying about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now