Talk

Advanced search

I want a dog

(9 Posts)
whatsagoodusername Tue 25-Feb-14 10:23:22

I've been reading the Found A Dog thread in Chat and now I really want a dog. Disclaimer: I always have wanted a dog, but it hasn't been practical

I have no idea how best to go about getting one.

I'd really like a rough collie. I had one as a child and she was the loveliest dog in the world - the type where even people who were scared of dogs loved her. DH and I are moving to our first owned house soon, with a reasonable sized garden. We have two DC (3 and 2) who love dogs and are great with my DM's border collies and MIL's lab.

I am happy for a rescue dog, a rehomed dog, and brand new puppy - just want a lovely dog in need of a home.

bakingtins Tue 25-Feb-14 11:28:33

Once you are settled in your new house, contact the nearest Rough Collie breed rescue but be prepared to wait a while for a rescue that is good with young children. Or try Colienet which lists older dogs needing homes and litters available.

bakingtins Tue 25-Feb-14 11:29:10

Collienet blush

EasyToEatTiger Tue 25-Feb-14 11:31:01

www.wiccaweys.co.uk/ is a great place for collies too.

needastrongone Tue 25-Feb-14 11:34:24

I love dogs smile Have two, a springer and a cocker puppy.

I would ask yourself about the practicalities first. How much walking would you be happy to do? Would you take the DC with you? What if they were poorly etc, when they get older and start all their after school activities. Or when it's throwing it down?

Are you a SAHM? Would a dog walker be an option if you work?

Collies are very intelligent dogs, so will need a lot of mental exercise as well as physical, which may be something to factor in.

The bigger rescues with less flexible policies may be unwilling to re-home to a family with young DC, but I am sure the smaller ones would be willing to consider the correct dog.

Lastly, puppies are bloody hard work, it's like having another baby, although great fun and the puppy stage passes more quickly. I am not sure that I would have coped with a puppy and young children, but that's just me! Puppies nip and bite and wee and pester and get hyper and need a lot of sinput initially.

Good luck though, hope you find the right dog for you smile

LEMmingaround Tue 25-Feb-14 11:39:08

Time to make lists - lists of expenses
Insurance
Vaccinations
wormers
kenneling costs
food
bedding
crate

List of commitments
Walking - can you manage the walking with two young children? a rough collie needs exercise, highly intelligent dog highly strung that needs stimulation
training - what do you know about dog training - rough collies need alot of training, if your mum has BCs she will be able to advise you - both breeds are working breeds and need to "work"
Holidays - are you prepared to pay for kennels, misss out on last minute breaks - would your mum be able to take care of the dog?
Ensuring the dog has somewhere to escape from the children - they are young and try as you might, they WILL piss the dog off on occasion.

Have a look into other breeds - many rescues wont home to people with young children, but some will but you have to be 110% sure tht the dog and the home is suitable, i'd be very wary of a rescue that rehomes a dog no questions asked.

Do you intend to be a SAHM and be around for most of the day? if not, what allowances will you make to ensure the dog doesn't develop separation anxiety?

I am not trying to put you off - these are all the things that need to be considered, but they are all doable and dogs become part of the family and you learn to fit in with them and all those things are done without thinking about it, but it takes time to adapt.

Time is the key - do not rush, research what you want, yes a rescue dog is the way i would go now (maybe not so much with young children) but often rescue dogs find themselves in rescues because of issues usually caused by their owners and you need to be sure you aren't taking those issues on. Puppies are bloody hard work too and you need to be confident tht you can train a puppy - training classes would be helpful here, to help train you!

Research research research smile

needastrongone Tue 25-Feb-14 11:47:31

I forgot the expense smile, god knows how, the springer has already had 6, yes 6, insurance claims in 16 months smile

Plus, that's a lot of trips to the vet to factor in.

It's all doable, but planning is your best bet I reckon.

whatsagoodusername Tue 25-Feb-14 13:59:49

Thanks everyone smile I will have a look at the links. Lots to think about before convincing DH it's a good time to get one (well, probably in a year or two, realistically).

I am a SAHM, with a bit of freelance work that I plan to expand when the DC are a bit bigger, so will be at home for walks and company.

I've done some basic training with my DM's dogs when I was a teen, but I probably would try a course/trainer as it's been a long time!

Kennels would just have to become part of the cost of holidays, unless MIL could be persuaded to dogsit (DM is in another country). Hadn't thought of it, and insurance, and presumably microchipping as well...

I know many rescues aren't suitable for children, so I am a bit wary of going the rescue route although I think that by being wary I wouldn't get talked into a dog that wouldn't be suitable. My DM's current dogs are rescue and one is brilliant with the DC, but the other just is overwhelmed by them and hides away and never, ever, ever left with them I know you shouldn't leave kids alone with dogs.

EasyToEatTiger Tue 25-Feb-14 17:04:08

A lot of people think that dogs should tolerate any kind of pulling and poking that children deliver, and when dogs don't like it, back goes the dog to the rescue home but with a history of biting or growling or whatever. So the rescue home would prefer that a dog is rehomed to somewhere it is less likely to be returned from. It is certainly worth talking to rescue centres about your expectations. Our dogs had children inflicted on them - a shock indeed! It is soooo important that the dog can be safe away from children!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now