Talk

Advanced search

Poo eating poodle. Why, why, why?

(23 Posts)
GeorgianMumto5 Sun 23-Feb-14 23:10:10

Ddog is 7 months. I luffs him. He is completely amazing and the light of my life, but his poo snacking has got to stop!

I see you can buy stuff from the pet shop, to add to their food and make their turds less palatable, but he rarely eats his own - just everyone else's - the softer the better. I am totally grossed out by it and now spend my time on walks anxiously scanning the ground for crapsnacks, when I would like to be admiring the view.

I think he may be doing it because:
1. There is not enough protein in his diet (Royal Canin Mini Junior)
Or
2. He is a scuzzy minger.

I do not punish him for this revolting habit, so I don't think he's got some 'hide the evidence' thing going on. We use the phrase, 'Leave it!' which is reasonably effective, provided he's not already tucking in. Being nearer to the ground, he's first to spot the crapsnacks, so it's sometimes too late.

Why might he be doing this and how can I stop it? I hate the idea that he may have a crusty crapbeard and poo breath. Goodness knows, it can't be good for him.

daisydotandgertie Mon 24-Feb-14 07:17:08

Mostly it's because he's a dog, and that's what dogs do.

But, you might be able to reduce it by switching food - the Royal Canin is not ideal - overpriced with a lot of filler in it. Switch to a better, more nutritious food - Burns, Simpsons, Fishfordogs - there are many, many of them available. As a general rule of thumb, avoid anything supplied by a supermarket or vet unless you have checked out the ingredients. Worm him too.

I would give a bollocking for doing it - I do with mine. Their favourite is sheep poo, quickly followed by a drop of horse. They will make do with cow if that's all there is about. Interestingly, it is only one of mine who feasts on it, the others are a bit more picky.

NumptyNameChange Mon 24-Feb-14 07:21:33

supposedly it can be to do with claiming territory sort of - as in removing the other dogs markers. don't know how true that it is.

my younger dog did a lot of this when she was younger but thankfully seems to have stopped it in the main though i did catch at it once the other day so hopefully it's not starting again.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 24-Feb-14 07:48:26

It can also indicate a medical problem so a trip to the vet for a check up should be included.

GeorgianMumto5 Mon 24-Feb-14 08:42:21

Thanks. Will look out other foods as a first port of call, then see vet if no improvement.

chocaholic73 Mon 24-Feb-14 09:41:28

My standard poodle does this too given half the chance and then is sick .. all very yucky. As you say, it's not just his own poo but anybody else's around. We have never successfully solved the problem - we didn't get him until he was 2.5 and he had been with his breeder until then, so has been quite difficult to train although the basics are there now and he's a good boy (mostly!). If he's off the lead he has to be muzzled (it does look stupid though) but there is no alternative for us.

Lilcamper Mon 24-Feb-14 10:17:30

I'd never 'give them a bollocking' for doing it, will just make them snaffle it more quickly or try to hide the fact they are doing it.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 24-Feb-14 10:23:34

My scuzzy dog does this too and is also on Royal Canin mini. Will look at a different food. Does the fishfordogs food stink of fish like their treats do?

Floralnomad Mon 24-Feb-14 13:16:51

Different problem but the theory may work I've managed to stop my terrier rolling in fox poo by telling him very firmly no and then its straight back on the lead and walk over . Repetition of this does seem to have worked as whereas it was an every walk occurrence it now happens once every couple of months .

NumptyNameChange Mon 24-Feb-14 13:22:12

fish for dogs is massively overpriced - see if you can find fishmongers choice if you fancy a fishy one - as good on the content and quality but for a lot less.

i personally feed autarky which is fairly local, a working dog brand and seems as good as any on content but minus the marketing premiumi n price.

daisydotandgertie Mon 24-Feb-14 22:22:44

Mine get a very stern 'leave it' command, and will continue to do so. I can't ignore undesirable or dangerous behaviour so they do get that 'leave it' bollocking. It works jolly well here whenever it's used. My dogs are working Labradors and a bulletproof 'leave it' command is something they have learned well and is very valuable.

Lilcamper - do you ignore it completely?

NCISaddict Mon 24-Feb-14 22:25:42

Mine did this until about six months old, theory is they see their Mums' do it to keep the den clean but I'm not sure. He does snack on horse poo still though but that's not as gross. He's raw fed if that makes any difference.

crypes Mon 24-Feb-14 22:32:23

I think it is a puppy thing, my little yorkie used to do it a lot but now he is 2 and half and just wouldn't ever do it now, it wouldn't even go through he's mind now to eat poo. So I think he stopped that nonesense about a year ago when he was one and a half.

cashewfrenzy Mon 24-Feb-14 22:33:20

drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/coprophagia-the-scoop-on-poop-eating-in-dogs

HarrietSchulenberg Mon 24-Feb-14 22:53:42

Sorry but sniggering at "crapsnacks".

GeorgianMumto5 Tue 25-Feb-14 00:07:52

Happy to be of service, Harriet. grin

That article says none of the poodles studied ate poop. Would they like to meet the exception to the rule, I wonder?

Lilcamper Tue 25-Feb-14 09:34:13

No I don't ignore it completely, and none of my cues are said in a stern voice.

I'd deal with it in 3 ways:

a) keep dog on lead in areas I know will have a high concentration of faeces.

b) work on building a strong 'leave' cue using high value rewards. No cue should have to be said sternly providing it is taught consistently and 'proofed'.

c) teach the dog a behaviour incompatible with eating poo.

cashewfrenzy Tue 25-Feb-14 10:44:53

Yeah, I didn't really get why it has to be a "stern bollocking" if it's "bulletproof"?!

Fontofnowt Tue 25-Feb-14 10:55:57

My mini bitch used to be a demon for turd truffles.
She would even excavate cat turds.

She was on halls but I was advised to try raw.

Now she has 80/20 raw and biscuits and luckily has stopped the shit eating.

Our brown lab still does this (at age 4). We have to keep her larder the garden free of snacks poo! She especially likes them in the winter when they are frozen - poopsicles, we call them.

LouiseSmith Tue 25-Feb-14 11:41:54

In the wild when dogs have puppy's, they will eat there poo as a way to cover up there scent to avoid other animals trying to eat there babies. More common in bitches, though makes have been know to do it too. X

VivaLeBeaver Tue 25-Feb-14 12:55:10

Someone told me to put a basket muzzle on my dog to stop it which I suppose is an option. I just worry that I'd get a muzzle smeared in poo which I'd have to clean.

GeorgianMumto5 Thu 27-Feb-14 18:44:48

Today he's progressed to eating his own. sigh

I am quick to clear up after him, but these were snaffled rabbit-stylee, so I had no chance. In high turd areas, I now keep him on the lead.

I will seriously look in to altering his diet. Yesterday he had Royal Canin, cooked chicken (puppy school treats) and plastic beads. Obviously the beads were snaffled illegally. You think you've cleared everything...

Working on 'leave it' and offering treats as a reward for leaving things, so hopefully that'll start to have an effect.

What are 'behaviours incompatible with poop eating'?

'Turd truffles' just made me snort with laughter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now