Talk

Advanced search

Refusing to eat

(9 Posts)
Lovethebubbles Sat 22-Feb-14 17:49:46

We have always fed our dog dry dog food, and occasionally as a treat some leftovers from a roast dinner etc. She really enjoys her food, always wants more etc. She was slightly overweight but after rationing, is now back to healthy normal weight. On Monday when I got home, she had been sick.. A small amount and it was purely her food that had been brought up. She was fine otherwise, drinking normally. Ever since this she has not eaten the food again, she will eat treats and ate a portion of wet dog food, which we tried just to see if she was off her food altogether. I have stuck to my guns and only given her the normal food, but she has just refused to eat it and gone 2+ days of not eating anything and not even asked for anything else. Today we gave her the dried dog food with wet food as well and she ate it all. What's going on? Should I persevere with the normal dry food or try switching brands? She's had the same brand (beta) for the last 2/3 years and been fine with it. Could it be that this one episode of being sick has put her off?

purplemurple1 Sat 22-Feb-14 18:08:26

When our dogs sick we wet the dry food by leaving it to soak in warm water which seems to help.

daisydotandgertie Sat 22-Feb-14 18:19:44

Take her to the vet.

EasyToEatTiger Sat 22-Feb-14 18:31:17

Don't switch food quickly. Dogs get bugs like we humans and can feel quite unwell. If she seems fine, I would stick to the original food. If she has been drinking, that is good. You could check her gums. Open her mouth and press her gums. They should be a bit pink and go pale when you press them, returning to pink quite quickly.

Lovethebubbles Sat 22-Feb-14 18:49:30

Thank you for the advice. She seems perfectly well which is why I haven't felt the need to take her to the vet... Especially as she is still happy to eat treats and wet food very quickly! I will check her gums too, thanks. Although she doesn't like me going it! Will also try wetting the food... Good tip! smile

Lovethebubbles Sat 22-Feb-14 18:58:21

Gums seem fine grin

Gooner123 Sat 22-Feb-14 20:20:26

I had the same experience with dry food,dog went completely off it,I now mix a small amount of wet meat with it & he's been fine ever since.
My mum mixes gravy in with her dogs dry food & they like that.

Lovethebubbles Sat 22-Feb-14 21:40:48

Well soaking it in warm water worked! Thanks so much for the advice... Gravy also a good idea, will try that if the soaking stops working.

purplemurple1 Sun 23-Feb-14 07:43:33

We normally so the wet for for a few days and then go back to dry, which is normally eaten. If not carry on with wet for a few more days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now