Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone here do agility?

(34 Posts)
saintlyjimjams Sat 22-Feb-14 13:24:02

First lesson this week and I'm wondering what to expect.

Also wondering what to wear - the website says sturdy shoes because it's in a riding school so I was thinking of wearing my chunky riding boots? (Ankle high - look like walking boots but are more flexible & lighter).

basildonbond Sat 22-Feb-14 14:20:59

No idea I'm afraid but v jealous! Dd would love to do agility with dpup when he's old enough but there are no classes anywhere near us

Let us know how you get on

saintlyjimjams Sat 22-Feb-14 19:39:41

Will do!

Gooner123 Sat 22-Feb-14 20:14:11

I've done a few agility classes,found it a bit boring as there was a lot of waiting around in between our turn,so long as you can run/ jog in your boots they'll be fine,hope you & your dog enjoy it.
I will prob.find a new class & try again as my hound liked it.

saintlyjimjams Sat 22-Feb-14 21:08:07

Oh we're having a 1:1. Saintlydog isn't very saintly - gets a bit excited so I suspect it will be combined with obedience as well (I have warned the trainer!). They do flyball as well which I can also imagine him loving... Fingers crossed!

MissBeehiving Sat 22-Feb-14 22:18:02

Agility really helps with obedience. Make sure you take some high value treats like cheese or sausage. Have fun smile

mintchocchick Sat 22-Feb-14 22:32:35

I'm hoping to do agility with my old English sheepdog though you have to be a year old. Well dog does. We practised a little at puppy class and our 6 month old puppy wimped out completely when faced with a tiny jump- he was cowering! Trainer said not to push but just to bring more tasty treats like liver cake.

I'll have to cook a batch before we start or we won't get round the course!

saintlyjimjams Sun 23-Feb-14 08:02:01

Yes treats out & about always a problem - he's just not remotely interested in any food treats when there's something more exciting to be done (not even things like sausage!) I usually use throwing the ball as the reinforcer when we're out.

Will rummage through the fridge & try to rustle up a menu.

PseudoBadger Sun 23-Feb-14 08:05:54

Yes I do, have done for over 10 years now smile

I would say no to anything remotely welly like, I train at an indoor riding school and we all wear trainer type shoes as running and turning are key.

Tasty treats are great, I use hotdogs, chicken, corned beef etc. Does your ball have a rope on it (so the dog can tug?)

saintlyjimjams Sun 23-Feb-14 08:10:32

My riding boots are ankle high & light so should be ok while I see whether he likes it. I think the first few weeks might be calming him down anyway smile

No he doesn't recognise balls with rope on as being balls grin

PseudoBadger Sun 23-Feb-14 08:18:14

They sound fine then smile Whereabouts in the country are you?

Decide whether you want to use treats or toys (or both) as rewards. Take a range of whatever you decide then you can see what will get his attention at the venue.

saintlyjimjams Sun 23-Feb-14 08:21:43

We're in Devon.

Will take along a dog's dream bag of treats grin

PseudoBadger Sun 23-Feb-14 08:25:03

Are you going to Devon Dogs by any chance?

saintlyjimjams Sun 23-Feb-14 08:27:24

No - they looked fab, but they're quite a trek from us.

PseudoBadger Sun 23-Feb-14 08:28:31

I hope you have a great time! Have you seen much agility at all? What type of dog do you have?

saintlyjimjams Sun 23-Feb-14 08:38:06

Not seen a lot no! He's a working line retriever who is super fast. He's not the usual retriever shape - very slim & smaller - I often get asked whether he's a setter cross by people who haven't come across working line retrievers before. Leaps over massive tree trunks & rocks & charges into waves to get his ball so I'm hoping he'll like it - also hoping it exercises his brain a bit - he's too clever really.

PseudoBadger Sun 23-Feb-14 08:44:50

He sounds perfect for agility! I love working line gun dogs, they're like different breeds to their show relatives.

PseudoBadger Sun 23-Feb-14 08:45:58

He might like a toy like this?

saintlyjimjams Sun 23-Feb-14 08:52:49

Oh that looks good - although he tends to ignore food when out. He likes fluffy toys though & loves to have things in his mouth. Is always walking around at home with a fluffy toy (& goes into ds3's room to steal his if he can't find his own). I might try and pick up a new fluffy tug toy before we go -he loves getting new fluffy toys as well!

Whoknowswhocares Sun 23-Feb-14 22:31:52

https://tug-e-nuff.co.uk/bungee-tug-toys.html

A toy from this page would get my vote. My goldie has the sheepskin bungee tug with ball one and LOVES it.
Something about the real skin/fur ones definitely makes them twice as exciting grin

furlinedsheepskinjacket Sun 23-Feb-14 22:35:55

good luck
we went with our lab - he didn't like it

saintlyjimjams Sun 23-Feb-14 22:52:23

Ah the place I'm going had a link to that on their website whoknows
Will report back when I've been!

Owllady Mon 24-Feb-14 10:39:28

When are you going?
As you know, we have done the junior one and are on our list but don't expect them to be interested straight away. Mine US a collie as you know and talked herself out of most stuff until she was distracted
Would do the tyre as it made a noise etc!
It's knackering! I need to get much fitter grin
I just wear normal clothes btw

Owllady Mon 24-Feb-14 10:40:57

I mean don't expect the dog to be interested straight away! The boards are fun......
Do you have a harness? I find easier t do with a harness on

saintlyjimjams Mon 24-Feb-14 11:46:44

I suspect when the trainer sees how mad maddog is she will start with obedience grin

Will report back!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now