Talk

Advanced search

Is my dog in season?

(4 Posts)
whatwoulddexterdo Sat 22-Feb-14 11:33:42

Silly question I know but first time dog owner here.
My 8month old golden retrieved has some blood on her bits, not much, just a streak really. I assume she has just come into season. The only reason I ask is that there were no warning signs. Her bits are not in the least bit swollen.
Can I walk her on lead?

Goldencity1 Sat 22-Feb-14 12:06:20

Yes, it does sound like it. If you take her out be careful, she will be attractive to male dogs who will be able to smell her from quite a distance. She will also find them attractive and will try to get to them. Our old Goldie (unspayed) was a terrible flirt!

Aquelven Sat 22-Feb-14 20:12:27

She won't swell till the red blood turns to a clear discharge, round about eleven days from the start. That's when she'll be at her most fertile & able to conceive, anything from nine days to three weeks from the start. Many bitches keep themselves so clean that it's hard to tell just which day they start their season.

mrslaughan Sat 22-Feb-14 20:37:41

Definitely only walk on lead and away from other dogs, more for your safety, she will attract males and you don't want to have to be "beating" them off so to speak.....don't trust her off lead as she will search out males.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now