Talk

Advanced search

Why does trial dog wee in the kitchen?

(7 Posts)
youbethemummylion Sat 22-Feb-14 08:57:41

So our little Bichon Frise is settling in fantastically. She is happy and very gentle and placid with cats/kids/strangers, good recall off the lead, ok with being left during the day (we are building this up very slowly) and she has the run of the house during the day. She is also now ok with being shut in the kitchen over night no scratching and banging at the door.

HOWEVER the reason she is shut in the kitchen overnight is she wees everynight. She has a last walk around 9 where she does a wee and sometimes a poo. Then is let in the yard around 11ish but refuses to wee no matter how long you stand out there. Then she is shut in the kitchen for the night - she has weed everynight in the same place so we put newspaper down in that place and she weed on that however we bought some puppy pads to try and contain the wee a bit more than newspaper (its a big wee) last night was the first night with puppy pads and she weed on her blanket instead of her usual place. She hasn't actually ever used her blanket as a bed yet so to be fair its not as if she has weed in her bed iyswim.

So do you think we should stick with newspaper and just clear up each morning or try and let her sleep wherever she likes in the house and see if she wees then? She has never shown she can indicate when she needs to wee so not confident she will come and wake us up.

I need a strategy as I refuse to give up on her over this as she is a perfect fit for our family in every other way.

kitsmummy Sat 22-Feb-14 09:59:30

There's stuff you should use to clean the area and stuff that you shouldn't use (disinfectant) as it increases "their" smell and encourages them to wee there again. Someone will clarify exactly what ou would and shouldn't use I'm sure.

Are you training with a command? I use "go toilet", the dogs recognise it v soon, that could help with getting her to do a wee/poo at 11pm.

Aside from that, I imagine all this will sort itself out over time, your family and life is still v v new to her...

mrslaughan Sat 22-Feb-14 20:00:58

Biological laundry liquid ( as opposed to non bio) will get rid of the smell.....even though only they can smell it.

minkersmum Sat 22-Feb-14 22:17:41

Maybe she is anxious being shut away from you while you are in the house iykwim

Would you try having her in your bedroom or leave her the run of the kitchen and access to where you are, closing all the other doors to limit where she might wee?

minkersmum Sat 22-Feb-14 22:21:02

Just re read op and think perhaps she has been given the whole house at first but now put in kitchen because she is weeing at night?

How old is she? Maybe worth a vet check?

Perhaps do a very short walk at 11, some dogs like my labx hate going in their own garden and he really hates going if it isn't in long grass or hidden away! Could she be fussy like that?

ThistledownAndCobweb Sat 22-Feb-14 22:24:47

Our rescue boy has very poor bladder control at night. When we got him he had an appalling long term bladder infection which the vet thinks May have impaired his control (although he can be fine for long periods in the day).
He sleeps downstairs but comes up to wake us if he needs to go out.
We tried keeping him in the kitchen but he weeed every night, now provided DH one of us gets up as soon as he trots into the bedroom he's fine.

youbethemummylion Sun 23-Feb-14 07:31:08

If I thought she would wake us up for a wee she could have the run of the house but she refuses to come upstairs. I think I will start taking her out for a late walk as she obviously has issues weeing in the yard although did wee in the yard yesterday in the middle of the day so she can do it just refuses to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now