Talk

Advanced search

I'm worried about my precious girl

(17 Posts)
TheBuggerlugs Thu 20-Feb-14 22:31:10

I have a female rottie who is almost 7. She is the most wonderful dog ever; gentle and loving and quite small for a full breed.

She runs around with my other dog who is a rottie cross collie and despite not being built for speed like he is, she tries to keep up and launches herself round and round with him often slipping as its very hilly where I live.

She has suffered with joint problems on and off in her shoulders especially her left which we manage with Rymadil (sp) which I believe is an anti inflammatorry.

Since Monday I have noticed she is holding her left leg up and sort of across herself. I've examined her and I can't tell if it's her paw that hurts or her shoulder. She's normally very good at telling me what hurts by grumbling but she doesn't really grumble when I examine it. I've given her an extra dose of Rymadil tonight and she seems no better so I have a vet appt at 2pm tomorrow.

I'm terrified it might be something serious like bone cancer. Does anyone have any experience or words of wisdom for me?

I don't want to lose her, I love her too much.

Noodles123 Fri 21-Feb-14 08:18:23

I lost my Rottie to bone cancer. However - he was a fair big older than your lovely girl, and (although I didn't know it before) ticked almost all of the 'high risk' categories - male, neutered and having had previous orthopaedic surgery (cruciate repair).
When he was first diagnosed, he slipped and fell out of my car and was fractionally lame for about a week, vets said tweaked muscle or similar and prescribed anti inflammatories (metacam) and rest. He seemed to improve, than about a fortnight later suddenly was crippled lame, up all night crying, we were outside the vets at 7am the next day.
Once diagnosed they amputated his leg sad but he lived another 13 months, walks were shorter as he got tired but he was still a gorgeous happy boy, and the cancer never spread or came back - we lost him to a spinal stroke in the end, aged 10.
I think the females are slightly less susceptible and chances are your girl has just tweaked something/maybe a touch of arthritis? But even if it's cancer, don't give up, we had another whole year with our beloved boy.

Booboostoo Fri 21-Feb-14 08:55:54

Don't jump to such extreme conclusions so quickly.

The most likely thing is a flare up of her arthritis or a muscle strain. Failing that an infection can cause quite a severe lameness but is easily treated with antibiotics. The vet will have to reject quite a few more plausible diagnoses before suggesting bone cancer.

Hang in there!

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 21-Feb-14 08:59:12

There are any number of things it can be. Don't run off with thinking the worst. Just see what the vet says.

Big hugs to your beautiful girl and hope appointment goes ok

thanks

Atbeckandcall Fri 21-Feb-14 09:35:03

Always scary when they can't tell you. Don't presume the worst. She may just been silly and over extended herself. I know it's really hard, try not to panic and keep calm, for her. Get well soon pooch thanks

TheBuggerlugs Fri 21-Feb-14 09:52:08

Thanks everyone. She's holding her leg up and keeps licking her paw/ wrist (or whatever they call a dog's wrist joint) but when I examine her paw and pads she doesn't seem bothered. There are several steps to get in and out of our house so just putting her in the garden for a wee is an ordeal. Normally I'd carry her but she's 4-5 stone (ish) and I'm newly pregnant after IVF so I sort of support her bum for her. Poor love.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 21-Feb-14 09:57:11

Can u get a friend to accompany you to the vets?

TheBuggerlugs Fri 21-Feb-14 10:15:30

My husband is coming. smile

Atbeckandcall Fri 21-Feb-14 19:49:43

How did it go?

TheBuggerlugs Fri 21-Feb-14 19:53:27

Sorry was just popping on to update. The vets began the consultation by shoving a thermometer straight up her jacksie instead of the normal fuss and biscuit so it's fair to say my girl didn't warm to her and wouldn't really let her examine her fully. The vet thinks it's her elbow but she's going in for an X-Ray on Monday Morning. Thank goodness for insurance!

Atbeckandcall Fri 21-Feb-14 19:55:18

Got to love insurance! Slightly bizarre to temp check first but ok?!
Good luck for Monday thanks

LEMmingaround Fri 21-Feb-14 19:55:34

it could be a tendon problem - I am glad you are having x-rays though x

Lost my boy to bone cancer - he was only 4 sad sad

TheBuggerlugs Fri 21-Feb-14 20:56:50

Thank you. I've upped her anti inflamatories as advised and she seems no better. She keeps just hold it up and pulls it into her when I go cuddle her. I hate her being ill.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 21-Feb-14 21:49:46

sad I really hope she feels better soon x

TheBuggerlugs Sat 22-Feb-14 15:00:54

Been back to the vets today as she was clearly in pain and saw a nicer vet who has suggested holding off on x rays a bit longer and given her some tramadol and prescribed lots of rest to see if it improves.

She's had a tablet and is currently passed out next to me. I know how Tramadol makes me feel so she will be of her head grin

TheBuggerlugs Mon 24-Feb-14 15:05:27

Girl dog was clearly still in pain all weekend so had x rays today. Both shoulders are arthritic looking but no sign of bone cancer. The vet agrees that her knee is puffy and sore so she's staying on anti imflams for a while and needs lots of rest.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 24-Feb-14 15:21:04

sad glad it's not cancer but very sad about the arthritis. Poor baby

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now