Talk

Advanced search

Urgent stray dog help please

(13 Posts)
HelgatheHairy Thu 20-Feb-14 16:00:09

I have a thread over in Chat for the cute factor but need practical help.

Long story short, found a stray dog today, already have a golden retriever who is soft as butter.

Little dog has claimed big dogs bed and growls if big dog gets too close. Big dog doesn't really go in his bed during the day but does at night. I don't know how to arrange things tonight. I'm in Ireland, a lot of dogs aren't left inside at night, I've no idea if little dog is house trained even.

I can't get little dog scanned for microchip till Saturday. Any suggestions?

wheretoyougonow Thu 20-Feb-14 16:03:13

I would put down another bed/blanket and show it to him.
Its kind of you to take him in but he needs to know his place.
Good luck and I suspect you will find out pretty quickly if he's housetrained!

Floralnomad Thu 20-Feb-14 16:10:00

Do you not have a shed or garage you could put him in tonight ? I saw the picture you posted in chat and whereas somebody said he looked like he was smiling I thought he looked like he was getting ready to take your fingers off . Good luck .

HelgatheHairy Thu 20-Feb-14 16:25:26

Don't have a shed or garage (actually have both but neither safe for dog).

I can put him in the kitchen but big dog can open the door if he wants.

Whoknowswhocares Thu 20-Feb-14 17:00:27

Does big dog have access to whole house? Mine isn't allowed upstairs so the bathroom for little dog would be an option in this house

mistlethrush Thu 20-Feb-14 17:04:28

Barricade kitchen door from big dog and leave in kitchen with big dog's bed somewhere big dog will be happy.

Not acceptable for little dog to be warning big dog away from big dog's bed.

Spray bed for fleas.

HelgatheHairy Thu 20-Feb-14 17:11:24

It's a VERY small house with no upstairs but if I put Henry the Hoover in the doorway big dog won't go anywhere near!

I think little dog likes big dogs bed because it's kinda surrounded on all sides so it feels safe. But yes the growling is unacceptable.

mistlethrush Thu 20-Feb-14 17:13:55

Have you got a cardboard box in the garage or shed that could be made into a similarly 'enclosed' bed of a more appropriate size with some old towels or blankets in the bottom for small dog so you can reclaim big dog's bed?

HenriettaPie Thu 20-Feb-14 17:38:22

Why can't you get him scanned for chip until Saturday? If you phone the dog warden they will come and scan him?

HelgatheHairy Thu 20-Feb-14 17:57:05

henrietta I'm in Ireland. It doesn't work like that where I live. TBH I don't think he's going to have a chip anyway.

Owllady Thu 20-Feb-14 18:16:14

Do vets not routinely scan in Ireland?

HelgatheHairy Thu 20-Feb-14 18:22:41

owl vets do but it's going to be Saturday before I can get to the vet.

Owllady Thu 20-Feb-14 18:35:48

Ok, that's fair enough then grin it's only a day and a half away anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now