Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help skin problem with my 7year old spitz

(4 Posts)
Prettykitty111 Fri 14-Feb-14 20:13:27

Hi I know I am breaking the rule of don't diagnose over the internet BUT I do have a vet appointment for tomorrow morning. I just wondered if anyone could give me an idea of what is wrong with my baby so I might be able to sleep tonight.
Last Sunday he got under the shed and we took an age getting him back out. On Wednesday I noticed a few crusty black spots on his back and that he was chewing himself. I gave him a tea tree bath and a good brush and put a cone collar on him to stop him chewing that area but tonight i had a another look. The original spot has gone and is just a red area like when a scab falls off but he has two more one on his shoulder and the other back of neck. He is flea treated and wormed and I can't see any evidence of fleas or tics. I haven't changed his diet, he is very fussy and has bakers in the morning and high life pouches at night (no meat derivatives) I knew bakers I bad but I have try a whole food biscuit and he would rather starve!
It's not too itchy because he'll have a little scratch occasionally but it's not constant.
There is no hair loss at all although because his coat is double layered and it's been quite mild he has started moulting his winter coat out but this was happening before the shed thing.
So to summarise (sorry this is longer than I thought I didn't want to drip feed) white black scabs about the size of a pin head, no sign of infestation, no change to diet or environment, not constant scratching, generally happy in himself. Has anyone had this?

moosemama Fri 14-Feb-14 20:38:38

Are you sure they're not very immature - as in nymph/larval stage - ticks?

If the first spot has 'fallen off' and left a reddened patch of skin and there are new spots that have appeared further up, ticks is a real possibility, especially if you have had other wildlife under your shed. (I know we've had both foxes and badgers under ours at different times.)

have a look at the images on this blog. Does it look anything like that? I know it's an American site, but the main tick species of Ticks are very similar in appearance to the naked eye, especially in the nymph stages.

Prettykitty111 Sat 15-Feb-14 11:03:47

Hi thank you for your reply. Man was down last night so I couldn't reply. Vet says no fleas or tics. His skin went very pink overnight so it Looks like a bacterial infection so he's been a brave boy and had an injection and I've got to force fed him antibiotics for the next 10 days.

moosemama Sat 15-Feb-14 11:29:24

Oh poor lad.

Hope the antibiotics clear it up really quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now