Talk

Advanced search

Crate training question

(13 Posts)
Fouette Fri 14-Feb-14 19:45:20

We are crate training the puppy. After putting a large toy in there he has suddenly started to enjoy the crate and had all sleeps, including overnight, in his crate. During the day I closed the door and at night left it open.

We are going out to the supermarket today. We will be gone an hour to two.

Do I leave the pup in the crate or leave him out? We had put him in the laundry with a baby gate but he can get through the baby gate hmm so it's leave him to the run of the house or leave him in the crate.

Thanks!

littlewhitebag Sat 15-Feb-14 07:09:24

We always left our dog in the crate with the door closed when we went out. She soon got used to that and is still very happy to be left in it. She only ever gets a filled king in her crate and when she sees the kong coming out she races into her crate and lies down.

littlewhitebag Sat 15-Feb-14 07:11:01

Also the crate is to keep the pup safe and to stop it doing things like destroying your belongings so why wouldn't you put pup into the crate when you went out?

MelanieCheeks Sat 15-Feb-14 07:11:29

I would try him in the crate.

Fouette Sat 15-Feb-14 08:28:43

Littlewhitebag he had been whining and stressed every time he went in the crate. As soon as we put the toy in he loved it. I was worried just suddenly closing him in would stress him out again.

Thank you for your advice. Crate for him tomorrow then smile

littlewhitebag Sat 15-Feb-14 09:08:56

If he is still a very young pup he may complain and whine a bit, more because you are gone rather than being in the crate i would think. Ours did initially as our neighbours said they could hear her. I think eventually they realise that you are coming back and become more settled.

Fouette Sat 15-Feb-14 10:51:11

Ok, thanks! He was 9 weeks yesterday so still tiny.

I didn't want to leave him running the house but felt a bit mean for locking him in. I got a great big crate for him today (he will be a big dog) which has more space for a water bowl that he won't just knock over - another reason I had felt uncomfortable shutting him in the other one!

littlewhitebag Sat 15-Feb-14 12:54:45

When our pup was that little we never left her for longer than 30 minutes then we built it up. I think up to 2 hours is much too long for a 9 weeks pup.

Fouette Sat 15-Feb-14 21:04:27

So do I leave him in the crate or leave him out? I've ordered a play pen which the crate can fit in but it won't arrive for a few days.

Unfortunately there are a couple of times a week he will have to be by himself for a couple of hours - supermarket shopping, and two of DDs play groups. We are mostly home the rest of the time though or going places he can come too.

Isthatwhatdemonsdo Sat 15-Feb-14 23:26:08

I would leave him in the crate with the door closed. Our dog used to rip the mail to shreds if we didn't crate him when we were out.

littlewhitebag Sun 16-Feb-14 06:58:09

Definitly in with door closed if that is what you are aiming for.

Beccadugs Sun 16-Feb-14 07:34:27

We leave ours with the door closed for outings like that. Built it up slowly from when she was tiny. If we say "bedtime" now she trots into her crate with an expectant look on her face (she always gets a bedtime biscuit, even if I'm going to the supermarket at 11am!)

Fouette Sun 16-Feb-14 10:33:12

Thank you so much everyone for your advice, I really appreciate it.

Went to the shops today and left him in the crate and the radio on. Came home to find him snoring and happy. He had one wee in there on a soft toy but that's not the end of the world!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now