Talk

Advanced search

Dog walking essentials - wellies and 'kit' bag recommendations pls

(24 Posts)
basildonbond Thu 13-Feb-14 22:28:29

I am now on my second pair of wellies this winter and my toes are starting to feel damp after prolonged puddle splashing (well actually after 5 mins of walking on the common at the moment ...)

I need to get some properly hard wearing wellies - which are the best ones?

Plus I want to get a smallish cross-body bag to put treats, poo bags, spare ball, emergency tenner etc - anyone seen any good ones?

fanoftheinvisibleman Thu 13-Feb-14 23:54:45

I got a pair of Hunters at christmas and whilst they are comfy I cannot comment on durablity yet. Last winters 15 quid Dunlop wellies (whilst not at all stylish!) have taken a right pounding and still look like new when hosed down though!

musicposy Fri 14-Feb-14 01:28:14

I'd also second Dunlop wellies. I've got a pair I've had for years. They're not a thing of great beauty to say the least, but I've had fashion wellies come and go (or leak and split) and these keep going, year in, year out. I've clomped through mud and rivers with them more times than I can remember.

butterfliesinmytummy Fri 14-Feb-14 01:31:36

I have a small crossbody bag with the essentials in ..... I include antibacterial wipes too for post poo pick up.....

Owllady Fri 14-Feb-14 08:08:32

I wear trainers which do leak but I can't understand how you can walk in wellies, they don't support you properly surely?
I walk a long way though....

fanoftheinvisibleman Fri 14-Feb-14 08:18:20

I can do 5 or 6 miles in wellies easy! I do a minimum of a couple miles a day in mine often more.

I have to admit that the Hunters are better for that though, they aren't flat inside iyswim and are more comfortable. But they were �50 and I am aware their reputation for being hard wearing has wained somewhat since my horse owning days.

I tried some Aigles too and they felt supportive but again ���

Lilcamper Fri 14-Feb-14 08:21:11

Waterproof hiking boots, doggonegood rapid rewards treat pouch and a waterproof jacket with lots of pockets here.

poubella Fri 14-Feb-14 08:21:57

muck boots, warm waterproof and comfortable so you can walk miles. They are the best dog walking boots I have ever had.

CMOTDibbler Fri 14-Feb-14 08:26:04

I wear Muck boots too - so warm and comfy.

I keep my whistle attached to my Dicky bag which has poo bags and antibac gel in, and treats in one of their pouches.

hairypaws Fri 14-Feb-14 08:33:57

Muck boots - I'm on year 3 with mine.

I have a lanyard for round my neck which has a whistle, personal alarm (for night time walks) and a squidgy ball shaped thing which you stuff with poo bags. Treats go in my pocket with the clicker and I have a ball chucked which I carry.

ender Fri 14-Feb-14 09:00:52

When I got 2nd dog I found I ran out of pockets (needed toys and balls for training) so bought this gundog bag comfortable worn across body and very light, net front is useful to keep full poo bags in till we find a bin.

impty Fri 14-Feb-14 09:06:59

Wellies le chameau every time, last much longer than hunters and far better made. If you hunt around online you can find them at the same price.

A warm coat with lots of pockets that covers your bottom! My bum has appreciated this very much!

ExcuseTypos Fri 14-Feb-14 09:07:54

My hunters have served me well, about 6 years so far. They aren't particularly warm though so I wear wellie warmers when it's cold.

moosemama Fri 14-Feb-14 11:47:34

I have a bag very similar to this that can be worn around the waist or across the body. I bought it for a few quid off ebay. (I'd recommend one without a front flap, as it just gets in the way if you want to keep treats in there.) If you go on ebay and look up 'canvas cross body bag' - 'canvas belt bag' or 'canvas military bag' there are loads to choose from for less than a tenner.

I can fit a tennis ball, hundreds of poo bags, a pack of tissues, handgel, clicker, a couple of bags of training treats, phone, cash and a spare lead in mine. (Having just typed that I've realised I should also put my mini first aid kit in it.)

As for boots. I can't do wellies, as I have ankle problems. I have Merrell Taiga boots which are £££s but have been amazing. The mud just falls off them, they don't seem to mark or stain and they're really warm and supportive.

MuttonCadet Fri 14-Feb-14 11:51:55

I love my hunters, we take daily walks for over a year and I haven't had any issues yet.

Love the gundog bags, that'll stop my pockets being full of pieces of dog biscuit.

punter Fri 14-Feb-14 12:00:13

I second gundog bags, so much easier that pockets full of stuff. Dog also looks up when i open up the flap in case I am going to produce a treat/ball so good way to get his attention.

cathpip Fri 14-Feb-14 12:08:43

A neoprene lined wellie like hunter, le chameau or toggi have all been brilliant. I do like muck boots, very comfy but it depends on how much walking you do. I did one seasons grouse beating in mine and had worn down the sole completely. And second the gun dog bags and a decent coat smile

Floralnomad Fri 14-Feb-14 13:22:05

I had a pair of ageing hunters that finally died .I then moved on to Aigle wellies and they are brilliant but at the moment I'm wearing a pair of Dublin country boots they are really lightweight and comfortable . IMO it's definitely worth paying for better fitting boots . I just have pockets full of junk rather than a bag .

Eastpoint Mon 17-Feb-14 23:11:54

I've got a Kipling eldorado which I originally bought when I was travelling on my own with my children. It fits poo bags, treats, my phone, emergency purse, antibacterial wipes for me, wipes for dogs (to get fox poo off) & I can fasten a throwing ball on a string to it. I don't like tennis balls as they get horribly slimy & I hardly have to touch one of these.

Scuttlebutter Mon 17-Feb-14 23:18:32

Land's End for good fleeces and waterproof coats - I love their Squall jacket. Deep pockets too. Mine is about seven years old, but still looks like new and washes brilliantly. I'm another one who can't do wellies for walking - I get walking boots from either Clarks or Land's End.

Pufflemum Tue 18-Feb-14 08:15:58

I received my Dicky bag yesterday. Very impressed, well made and fits all of the essentials in and. Of embarrassing for my DH or children to carry if our without me! Thanks for the recommendation.

Bramblesinforrin Tue 18-Feb-14 08:42:48

I love my aigle parcours wellies. I picked them up on amazon for a bargain and have worn them every day for eighteen months! They are so comfy, dry and warm.

I invested in a paramo coat which is light, doesn't rustle and keeps the wind out. Last year I bought paramo waterproof trousers. My dog gets vry very excited when he sees the magic trousers go on on a damp day!

CMOTDibbler Tue 18-Feb-14 09:09:27

Pufflemum- glad you like your Dicky bag. We've had ours just over a year now ans as there aren't many bins in many of the places we walk it is much nicer to have the poo in a non smelly safe bag than dangling it.

mrslaughan Tue 18-Feb-14 20:02:12

Aigle neoprene lined......I wear them around horses and dogs every day, have good grip on them and are really warm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now