Talk

Advanced search

is it okay for 11 week old pup to chew (eat!) old carpet tile?

(5 Posts)
Pinkje Thu 13-Feb-14 11:38:56

Hi there. We have a chewing puppy, a cocker, likes her kongs and toys but I've just put an old carpet tile at the back door for dirty paws and she immediately went for it.

We had to remove the rubber door mat as she was biting chunks of that off so I thought the carpet tile would be more resilient. I don't want her to think chewing carpets is acceptable but this square tile is very unlike any carpet we have in the house (in fact she's not allowed in the carpet rooms yet as there's still the odd pee).

So do you think it safe?
And when can I start her on an antler?

Thanks.

Mogz Fri 14-Feb-14 08:21:53

What are the fibres like on it? I'd be worried if they were long and she's swallowing that they could tangle in her gut.

Floralnomad Fri 14-Feb-14 13:25:18

I have never let mine chew anything other than dog things ( antlers / nylabones) as I think its too hard to expect them to know the difference between a carpet/ slipper etc they are allowed to chew and one that they can't .

Pinkje Fri 14-Feb-14 15:25:36

Thanks. Have just spent a small fortune on chewing toys ...indestructible I hope. Nylabones and other rubbery things. They are working for now.

MichonnesSamuraiSword Fri 14-Feb-14 15:35:40

If there's any chance she's swallowing bits, it's potentially dangerous.

And it's teaching her that it's ok to chew carpets. Not a great idea.

Keep the messages clear, don't confuse her.

Persevere with different toys - my pup didn't take to Nylabones, but loves anything rubbery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now