Talk

Advanced search

Do you need veg/fruits and carb in raw diet?

(6 Posts)
JKramer Wed 12-Feb-14 16:40:25

Those of you who feed raw or home cooked, do you also add veg/fruits and carbs like pasta/rice/sweet potatoes to the meals?
I have read mix comments about whether you need to add veg/fruits if the meals are balanced in meat/offal/meaty bones, so just curious what other raw feeders do?

fanoftheinvisibleman Wed 12-Feb-14 21:10:37

I don't routinely add veg but I use Nutriment which does contain it and will give it as a treat. I don't think they need it but I have no strng feeling about needing to exclude it. Unlike Carbs. I don't and wouldn't feed carbs with raw due to the increased digestion rates and risk of bacteria growth.

ender Wed 12-Feb-14 21:45:53

I never give mine carbs, fruit or veg, They do help themselves to stuff on walks, blackberries and apples in summer, spring grass, whatever's in season. Rose hips popular at the moment and appear whole in their poo the next day, very decorative smile

lifeinthefastlane1 Sat 15-Feb-14 09:03:52

I give my dog natures menu raw food nuggets, they are balanced and have veg mixed in them , no carbs though, potato is totally irrelevant for dogs and no value whatsoever, some people use veg and rice to bulk up the meat intake for cost reasons, I also mix with wholebake organic mixer, and raw chicken wings. I know other raw feeders that make their own feed which is very time consuming for me. raw diet no matter how you serve it is so much better than the canned crap.

Scuttlebutter Sat 15-Feb-14 09:42:22

We give ours things like left over pasta or rice, and will occasionally do a tray of roasted squash or pumpkin for them, which they love.

Dinnaeknowshitfromclay Sat 15-Feb-14 09:52:23

Carbs but not refined carbs so green veges but easy on dense stuff likes carrots/parsnips and then very dense stuff such as potatoes and the like minimally. Just remember that when dogs make a kill they eat the stomach and gut contents first as it is the most prized due to it's carb and vitamin/mineral/roughage content and the meat from the carcase at their ease. Add in to your dogs meat only diet anything that you imagine the herbivore predated would have in it's stomach, basically. I have a friend that feeds a raw meat diet mixed with guinea pig food nuggets (1/8) which seems to cover all bases. His two dogs look amazing. They also get scraps from the table that includes everything bar cooked bones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now