Talk

Advanced search

Have I made a mistake?

(12 Posts)
Jumpingovaries1 Wed 12-Feb-14 11:47:20

I have a 5 yr old and we have been looking at getting a puppy for sometime. We have settled on a blue roan cocker spaniel. Buying from a kc registered breeder met her mum and gran who have lovely temperaments. Checked with vet if he thinks a cocker is good for homes with young children and he said yes. Now iv read some threads on here about them having rage and needing lots of amusement. I'm at home all day so plenty of walks is no issue. Does anyone have any good stories about cockers living with kids?

Whoknowswhocares Wed 12-Feb-14 11:54:22

Is it a working or show line pup?
That will make a massive difference to the activity levels and need for mental stimulation!

tabulahrasa Wed 12-Feb-14 11:58:35

Cocker rage - if it is definitely an actual 'thing' and not just what people decide aggressive behaviour is (there's debate about that) is very rare and seems to affect solid coloured males more.

Cockers are pretty busy wee dogs, but decent walks and ongoing training and play is really all that's needed. They're clever - so read up on clicker training and start teaching tricks once you've got the basics in place and you'll have a happy dog...and the training and playing is something DC can do with her too.

pickles184 Wed 12-Feb-14 12:01:46

They are a working dog and will need mental stimulation as well as the plenty of walks. My friends parents had a cocker that they all grew up with, had given warning type bites to whole family at some point in her life, no broken skin and always provoked from what I remember. She was mostly lovely though, I suspect some of her quirks were due to lack of stimulation (always trotting round in circles when bored, hoarding any number of everyone's belongings in her bed etc..) but she was generally well behaved and clearly loved people.
She was show lines if that helps?

Jumpingovaries1 Wed 12-Feb-14 12:10:08

Thanks everyone. She is a show line pup. clicker training can i get all the info i need on this from google? I'm also going to take her to puppy training classes I have had dogs before but not for several years now. Any tips for choosing a good class?

Jumpingovaries1 Wed 12-Feb-14 12:18:12

Thanks everyone. She is a show line pup. clicker training can i get all the info i need on this from google? I'm also going to take her to puppy training classes I have had dogs before but not for several years now. Any tips for choosing a good class?

tabulahrasa Wed 12-Feb-14 12:18:51

If you google kikopup for clicker training, you should find enough stuff to get going and a load of videos on how to teach certain things.

Basically you get them to associate the click with a reward, never click without rewarding, but you can do things without the clicker - so it's not a case of always having to have a clicker in your hand. And the click is how they know they've done something you want.

It's really good for entertainment as you can capture behaviour and they then have to work out what it was they did - which completely tires them out, lol.

Classes - look for positive reinforcement, small classes (a hall full of dogs will do you no good) and see if you can go and watch a session to see if you like it.

Jumpingovaries1 Wed 12-Feb-14 12:29:54

Excellent will look up kikopup. Wouldn't have thought about asking to watch a session will do that. Thank you

needastrongone Wed 12-Feb-14 12:38:03

We have an 11 week old working cocker and a 15 month springer. Our little puppy is busy, loving, bright, and sweet natured. He grumbles if moved when asleep, but fair enough. He thrives on training and stimulation, he would lap up training all day if I provided it.

There's some clicker training books out there which I will google for you but kikopup on Youtube is a great start. She does tons of short and brilliant little training videos.

Be aware that puppies are very hard work. I don't think it matters what breed you get. I also think that what you put in is what you get out, like DC! No matter what breed.

Your DC may find the reality of a puppy a little different to the idea. Puppies nip and bite and play rough and need space etc. So it's probably a good idea to make sure your DC is 'dog savvy' too, so know not to disturb if sleeping, and hug too hard etc.

Also, just remember a cocker will need walking whatever the weather, whether it's the school holidays, whether your DC is ill. Plus, your DC will start all manner of after school activities etc, just make sure you have planned for all this.

My two dogs have given a new dimension to our lives and I wouldn't be without either, so as long as you are aware of what you are taking on, then good luck!!

needastrongone Wed 12-Feb-14 12:38:35

cross post!

Jumpingovaries1 Wed 12-Feb-14 12:49:33

Thanks need a strong one Uv put my mind at ease I have lots of time to put in with her so hopefully we will be fine

Pinkje Wed 12-Feb-14 14:49:24

We too have a blue roan bitch (show cocker spaniel). She is delightful but the early days are hard, like new born baby stage again. We were taking her out to pee (and poo) overnight which is hard in winter but already we are starting to see improvements. I now don't get up for her but allow her to wee in her crate overnight - she gets taken out at 12 then again at 7 am and half the time her bladder holds out.

It is full on - well I make it that way as I'm determined she'll not toilet inside at daytime so we're out with her A LOT!!! I mean garden only as she's too little to take to public places yet. I'm confining her to our kitchen diner with its laminate floors so basically I'm confined there too. When she sleeps (about 3/4 naps a day between 45 minutes and 1.5 hrs a time) I get on with housework.

She chews a lot which is another reason I'm 'helicopter mum' with her. I won't let her chew the walls - you need quite a lot of chew toys.

Her temperament is lovely but we could tell her mum's was too so if you get to meet her mum see what she's like.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now