Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Daily dog chews for dental health

(10 Posts)
JustHowItIsToday Wed 12-Feb-14 08:32:31

Our dog recently had his teeth cleaned by the vet and had a couple taken out. He's 9 and a rescue dog so his teeth were rubbish when we got him.

Would like to give him a daily chew of some sort - Pedigree Dentastix or something like that - but they're expensive. Where's the best (cheapest) place to buy from or is there an alternative?

We do clean his teeth weekly with doggy toothpaste and in the summer when he can lie in the garden we give him bones to knaw on.

Whoknowswhocares Wed 12-Feb-14 09:27:50

Dentastix don't seem to last long enough to do any good in my house! Plus they are full of abject rubbish.
How about an antler? Expensive to buy initially, but lasts literally months and doesn't make a mess indoors. My golden retriever has has hers for 6 months so far, and only managed to wear down one small piece, despite Many hours of trying!

CEvert Wed 12-Feb-14 09:59:04

One of my boys doesn�t like having his teeth cleaned ever since day 1.
He would clench his mouth and tries wriggling out.
It�s a nightmare brushing his teeth.
So Just wondering what�s the best thing for a stubborn dog?

CEvert Wed 12-Feb-14 12:38:56

Does anyone use a dog dental rinse?
If so, which one do you recommend?

whatwoulddexterdo Wed 12-Feb-14 13:36:42

can you tell me what an antler is and where I would get one? Sounds like my goldie would enjoy. Thanks

Whoknowswhocares Wed 12-Feb-14 13:57:00

Haha, it's exactly what it sounds like......a completely natural deer antler. Apparently sourced when they shed them. You can buy them in any pet store/online . I only buy in store though, as I like to pick a good shape piece. Online you could get any shape and my Goldie prefers a piece with a fork in it as it's easier to hold

Cocolepew Wed 12-Feb-14 13:58:34

We use Asdas own mak Dental Sticks, £1 for 7.

Twooter Wed 12-Feb-14 18:23:32

To be honest, the best thing is to brush his teeth daily. Just once a week probably isn't going to make any difference.

nuttymutty1 Wed 12-Feb-14 18:56:34

<wispers> raw feeding will clean dogs teeth naturally

Scuttlebutter Wed 12-Feb-14 20:26:20

Stagbars are great - main brand of antlers, though there are others. Available at most pet shops, Amazon etc. We won one at a dog show last year, and ours love chewing it, and it's barely altered.

Bones also great for keeping teeth clean. Gnawing at a bone or stagbar apparently also releases endorphins for the dog so is a feel-good activity for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now