Talk

Advanced search

Best dog training book for idiot dog?:)

(6 Posts)
Figis Fri 07-Feb-14 14:17:57

My dogs have all been well trained but current dog is an idiot. Neurotic, aggressive in panic, touchy, ill tempered, resource guards...

She has had lots of homes and we have had her a year and whilst lots of progress in some ways non that would be obvious outdoors.

Am ok on the theory, have ordered my clicker but what book will motivate me and give me ideas to transform the snarling grotbag into a delight. She is mainly cocker plus something random and is prob 5-8 ish.

We do love her too;)

Dirtybadger Fri 07-Feb-14 17:01:07

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Positive-Training-Edition/dp/1615640665

You said idiot not me! wink

Seriously, though, the book is good. From what you've said, however, you need more than a book. This book will help with training but it sounds like more than some simple training needs. Contact a decent behaviourist. Go through the PPG/APBC or APDT.

"Mine!" is a good book for resource guarding.

The other problems you've listed are vague so no recommendations there.

Above all, though, get someone in! Oh, and make sure your dog is checked over thoroughly by the vet if she hasn't been recently.

nuttymutty1 Fri 07-Feb-14 19:04:12

Not idiot dog sad more likely fearful, stressed worried dog.

I would strongly advise talking to an APDT trainer or PPG trainer who would set you up in the right direction and could give you your own individual training plan.

Idiots guide is great but not specific for dog with "isshooos" and you could do more harm than good.

Jean Donaldson does a good book on resource guarding BUT it does sound to me that this could be a symptom rather than a major behavioural issue. eg get other things sorted and this may not be a problem.

If you want to say whereabouts you are I can recommend a trainer to help you.

Figis Sat 08-Feb-14 10:35:55

Complete idiots sounds about rightsmile

I do know the dog isn't an idiot really... Actually the resource guarding is an old ishooo. In fact she is much improved and doesn't do this anymore other than quite reasonably with a juicy bone. She doesn't bite any more, hasn't eaten this kitchen, doesn't shred the carpet any longer. We did see an adpt trainer who was useful and have spoken with her since and she thinks it is training we need to crack on with. Having improved all the home stuff we haven't done much outside other than exercise her.

Her really problem is she is petite and really cute, she is tufty, waggy and people and dogs gravitate towards her...I spend my life warning them off. No bugger came near my old rottie which is a shame as he was lovely. I have a new dog coming, I know I can integrate the two of them but it would be good to be able yo walk them together around other dogs. There are a few local dogs we have introduced her to successfully but her tolerance is very dog specific...she is still fear aggressive to others. I have a vision of separate walks unless over fields as she isn't fussy about who and what she bites when scared.

Figis Sat 08-Feb-14 10:41:54

Oh and she is fine health wise, not that it is easy for the vet to check! Making progress here too...

Monissa Mon 10-Feb-14 06:09:57

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now