Talk

Advanced search

Are most puppies a bitey pita with children?

(6 Posts)
minkersmum Wed 05-Feb-14 21:40:46

We have a 12/13 week old rescue bc pup. He is ok when it is just adults around the house but when my 3 dc come home from school he becomes a bitey, growling pita!
He managed to get my dd1(7) on the nose tonight and leave a mark. She is gutted and keeps cuddling our 7yo labx and getting all teary.
He is so much more bitey/growly with the dc. I have told them when he jumps at them all teeth and growly (grabbing clothes) to get him by thr collar say 'off' and ask him to 'sit' which he does but it is an endless cycle at the moment.

Anyone had a pup and dc can reassure? Our old girls were adult dogs by time dcs came along and were easy peasy. Our lab x a rescue aged 4 and a complete sweatheart with the dc. He is such a kind soul.

fanoftheinvisibleman Wed 05-Feb-14 21:48:53

Honestly? Yes smile It does pass but the land shark stage is a nightmare!

Persistance pays off in the end. We did the ignore bad behaviour, reward the good. Complete interaction stops if biting continued after we'd tried to refocus on a toy instead.

They do tend to have a regular 'witching hour' too when they get tired and over excited too. A bit of time out may help him know it is time to rest.

And get the dc to practise 'stand like a tree' too!

Mine was awful and ripped all our clothes but is a a gentle sweetheart now.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 05-Feb-14 21:51:37

The problem is children exhibit what the puppy believes is play behaviour squeaking and jerky movements of hands, this why standing like soldiers or trees is very effective.

minkersmum Wed 05-Feb-14 22:37:26

Thanks guys.
Yes he is definitely worse with the 7 yo who is the twitchiest of the three!! He has nipped her too many times and now she is a bit nervous.

It is hard for them to get used to his puppy behaviour as our labx is such a big cuddle monster and very gentle and soft mouthed. The kids try to get puppy to sit and reward with a treat but he is so snappy with the food they end up getting fingers nipped!

my pup snapped at my 8 yr old, and has "bitten" him (well, her teeth touched his skin but no bruise or blood, still, rather she didn't).

She only does it to him, he is very jerky in his movements and does daft things like sneaking up behind her to give her a hug,

I am teaching him not to do things like that.

Also, if there are 2 or 3 kids dancing and prancing round the pup it is just too much and she goes a bit barmy.

So one child at a time, and no jerky movements, and if she is in a bitty mood, put her to end with her antler to chew.

Sort of works here (fingers crossed). But the 8 yr old needs supervision, he is not that capable of gauging her moods, IYSWIM.

put her to BED (not "end)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now