Talk

Advanced search

Insurance minefield- PetPlan vs PetProtect?

(9 Posts)
monkeyfacegrace Tue 04-Feb-14 21:40:47

Gah, my brain is fried.

Is lifetime worth it?

PetProtect are offering £4k cover, £50 excess for £10.97 p.mth

PetPlan are offering £4k cover, £90 excess for £19.47 p.mth.

So why am I wavering towards PetPlan!

Thing is, if my pup does ever get a lifelong/pre existing condition, Im going to need to stay with one company for life. Now, who, of those two, is 1) Not going to rocket my premiums in future years 2) Actually pay out?

Also, do you build up 'no claims' etc? Im new to this.
So, if pup needed any vet treatment, do I claim for ANYTHING over the excess, or do I need to lay low?

My brain is frazzled confused

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 04-Feb-14 22:08:06

Yes lifetime is worth it in excess of 80% of vet insurance claims of for chronic conditions such as diabetes, arthritis etc. Both companies pay out well. Both companies premiums rise as the dog gets older, pet plan it is not related to claims I am not certain about pet protect.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 04-Feb-14 22:08:37

Oh and there re no 'no claims' bonuses in this industry.

Pudtat Tue 04-Feb-14 22:13:54

Just wanted to say that I have had thousands out of pet plan and they've been great. Accident damage which took over two years to fix (never mind the pins plates and skin grafts) and later on diabetes. Never a quibble .

No experience of the other.

monkeyfacegrace Wed 05-Feb-14 07:03:19

T

monkeyfacegrace Wed 05-Feb-14 07:03:50

Thanks guys.

Bumping for anybody else's opinions?

tabulahrasa Wed 05-Feb-14 08:54:13

You want lifetime cover as it's not just chronic conditions that it matters for, any skin problems will all be treated as the same issue even if years apart and completely unrelated, or ear or knee or wherever else it happens to be.

Premiums don't go up if you claim though, they go up by the same amount whether you claim or not depending on how much they're changing premiums that year and the age of the dog. So yes, claim anything over the excess.

I have no idea about petprotect, but... I've never heard anyone complaining about petplan, they are the company which seems to be regarded as the best and lots of vets will accept a claim form as payment because of that, which means you don't have to pay upfront.

My dog is with purely pets because they offered £7500 a year for £15 a month cheaper than petplan - I've claimed about £4000 in 18 months with no problems whatsoever, though only one of his vets will claim directly from them.

AbouttoCrack Wed 05-Feb-14 11:02:24

This is interesting to me. I only have experience if petplan equine insurance. If you claim for an illness or condition they will exclude it from the policy on the next renewal. So I claimed for a vets bill for a cough the first year and all respitory illnesses were excluded thereafter. Likewise, anything to do with arthritic conditions excluded after one claim.
Do they not do this for dogs then. ?

tabulahrasa Wed 05-Feb-14 11:05:23

Not with lifetime cover no. Annual policies cover it up to a certain amount for 12 months, with lifetime cover it's a set amount per year for anything which resets each year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now