Talk

Advanced search

Drat - pup has started pulling on the lead

(12 Posts)
basildonbond Tue 04-Feb-14 14:39:24

Serves me right for feeling smug about his lovely loose lead walking - and it was lovely up until about a week ago ...

Now dpup has suddenly started pulling like a train ... He's a 6.5 month old Toller - he's recently had a growth spurt, has got much stronger and much much faster and I think hormones are coming into play (has started cocking his leg). He's now saying 'sod your bit of chicken/sausage - I want to get to the park RIGHT NOW!!!'

I've been standing still until he stops pulling or doing the going in the opposite direction and he's ok for about 30 seconds and then starts pulling again

Training in general has gone to pot a bit sad. He's happy to spin round in circles, touch and target, rollover etc (i.e. all the fun stuff) but as soon as I try to practise a sit or down stay he pretends he's never heard the word before and looks at me blankly obviously thinking 'just talk to the paw ...'

Help?

Owllady Tue 04-Feb-14 15:01:32

You just have to carry on doing what you are doing smile

basildonbond Tue 04-Feb-14 15:12:05

<sigh> it's all dh's fault - he's taken him out a couple of times and hasn't been strict about not letting pulling get him anywhere and isn't patient enough to hang around going nowhere so my months of hard work have been undone - sniff

Varya Tue 04-Feb-14 15:16:56

Sometimes it can help to turn around and walk in the opposite direction with a canine puller. So you set out with him on the lead, if he pulls, just turn around and walk the other way, repeating as necessary for up to 10 minutes then praise lavishly when he walks nicely.

PeanutPatty Tue 04-Feb-14 15:18:14

It's all about consistency and so carrying on as you have been doing with the stopping and starting. It is a PITA but it's the only way to get back to where you were.

daisydotandgertie Tue 04-Feb-14 18:01:56

Book in with a trainer? I know one in the south east who is brilliant and has spaces on a perfect sounding course on 25th March. Am happy to give contact details if you're interested.

basildonbond Tue 04-Feb-14 19:05:17

Can you let me have details pls? Am in S London

daisydotandgertie Tue 04-Feb-14 19:38:08

I've PM'd you.

lainiekazan Wed 05-Feb-14 09:44:42

Hi, daisy. Could you pm me too, please? I have a terrible puller. I have done all the training by the book, use a Dogmatic anti-pull harness but dog won't meet me even half way.

bobblypop Wed 05-Feb-14 14:40:36

he's being a teenager wink be consistent, back to basics where needs be and this will pass!

ButterdickCumberscotch Thu 06-Feb-14 09:45:27

Can I have a PM too? I have an 8 month old mongrel and am at the end of my tether with heel training. I feel like I stop and say heel 100s of times. He stops, scoots back and then shoots off again pulling. I feel like it is never going to work.

Thanks

milkybarsrus Thu 06-Feb-14 16:20:08

My dog got like this when he grew balls. He was so good, but about six months old, he was like, check them out, I've got balls now and I can do what I like! It's called being a teenager. Had him neautered, and then the attitude disappeared with the bollocks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now