Talk

Advanced search

I've never seen such a mess! Warning: may make you feel sick!

(14 Posts)
BlessThisMess Tue 28-Jan-14 16:27:25

Our poor Cavalier King Charles suddenly produced explosive diarrhoea last night that looked like jam! All over the kitchen - she turned round in circles as she was doing it and it sprayed everywhere! DH cleaned it all up, set off for bed through the dining room and found she'd originally been in there and done it too. shock

I phoned the vet at 4am thinking she might evacuate her entire insides by morning, but he said she'd be ok till morning. There was more blood all over the kitchen floor this morning. Today she's been admitted on a drip, being kept in overnight and a sample has been sent off for analysis.

In 35+ years of dog owning I've never seen anything like it. It's some form of haemorrhagic gastroenteritis. Anyone else's dog had this?

milkybarsrus Tue 28-Jan-14 16:47:18

Yes my mums dog had this exact same thing! It's so frightening. We obviously thought the worse, but after the tests were done the vet said that it was something outside that he ate??? Couldn't work it out, as he is never let off lead (he has issues) and is only ever aloud a run about in mums garden. But, all I can say is I feel your pain, the amount and the thickness was horrific. But mums dog was absolutely fine, when he came home from the vets, he had to go on a bland diet for a week. Sending you a hug and hoping things work out ok for you.

CEvert Tue 28-Jan-14 16:54:07

Wonder what they could have eaten to have given them that..... sounds bad!!

monopoly123 Tue 28-Jan-14 16:58:10

Mine was like that a couple of weeks ago, DH had checked on her, she was normal, an hour later she was shaking by the washing machine and there was pools of bloody diarrhoea and foamy/watery sick all over the place! It was early evening so we got her to the vet where had an injection, sent her home with pro-kolin and she made a fairly quick recovery. She had been messing about bear the pond earlier in the day so possibly licking toads? I don't know though.
Hope yours makes a speedy recovery.

Owllady Tue 28-Jan-14 17:14:43

Gosh how awful, hope she is ok

Could in be the slug stuff that has been put down by arable farms in the last month? It's lethal (if inhaled) so I have changed my walking route

There are lots of bugs around atm too though

furlinedsheepskinjacket Tue 28-Jan-14 17:30:51

ahh poor thing sounds scary

BlessThisMess Tue 28-Jan-14 17:55:55

Yes they kept asking if she could have eaten anything on a walk and she could have as she will eat anything and my daughter and a friend took her out on Sunday so she could have got something then.

It's good to know others have come through it.

starsandunicorns Tue 28-Jan-14 18:03:09

Op I hope your dog recovers quickly smile

SparkleToffee Tue 28-Jan-14 18:29:52

Yes my terrier cross had it and it was awful... Drip, tests etc and was a v scary time but he was ok after a few days thank god

CalamityJones Tue 28-Jan-14 18:40:10

Yes, my Weimaraner got this last year (and if you think an explosive KC is bad, imagine the carnage with a dog that size!). He was fine after a course of meds, it took a good week or two for him to fully bounce back and apparently they're more prone to stomach upsets afterwards - my boy certainly is more delicate in that regard. We had really bad floods here before mine got it and there was a bit of an epidemic in yhe area, the vet thought that the floodwater was bringing something to the surface in the fields..

Auriga Tue 28-Jan-14 18:43:49

DDog had this as a puppy, it was campylobacter in her case. She recovered v. well.

luccamum Wed 05-Feb-14 03:47:10

Calamity Jones, I am also the owner of two Weims, Lucca is 8, he has had multiple episodes of HGE since going down with Campylobacter as a puppy.
It's very scary, HGE can kill a healthy adult dog in a few hours.
He had a really bad bout before Xmas, the infection crossed into his bloodstream, tracked up his pancreaticduct, and he went down with ppancreatitis.
We got him over that, and this Saturday, he managed to scrounge some cat vomit, so he's got another dose.
Been up all night with him. It's exhausting.

luccamum Wed 05-Feb-14 04:12:16

One thing is now as Lucca has had it so often, we keep an eye out for it. The first sign is he goes off his food, his stomach starts to sound like a washing machine, then the diarrhea starts.
We usually put him straight on Loperamide and Pro kolin, if that doesn't work then it's metronidazole and omeprazole. Lots and lots of fluids, they mustnt get dehydrated.
Don't ignore this, it won't go away.

groovejet Wed 05-Feb-14 17:23:55

Our cav had this last year it was horrific the mess and was v scary. He recovered fine 2 days in the vets on a drip and a bland diet for a week afterwards, then he returned back to his usual bouncy self.

If they do get haemorrhagic gastroenteritis they can be more prone to repeat occurrences.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now