Advanced search

Milbemax and Lungworm

(19 Posts)
jasminum Sun 26-Jan-14 23:27:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jasminum Sun 26-Jan-14 23:28:33

fanoftheinvisibleman Sun 26-Jan-14 23:45:57

Lonecat (a helpful vet on here) did tell me it had brrn licensed for lungworm prevention now. My vets deny all knowlege of this.

fanoftheinvisibleman Sun 26-Jan-14 23:46:43

I trust lonecat btw ...My vets don't stock it! wink

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 27-Jan-14 10:35:37

Milbemax received it's licence for lungworm prevention (it has lways been licenced for treatment of active infection) in late August last year on the basis that treatment is given monthly. The details are on the current NOAH sheet for 2014 and also on the VMD website.
Both Activyl tick plus and Advantix will give you good flea and tick cover. Economically Activyl plus and Milbemax is the best combination. Currently vets can run an offer with Milbemax where every 4th treatment is free if you take a minimum of 4 treatments at a time. Of course in my niceness I will be doing this and a lovely Activyl offer in Feb just putting together details grin.

jasminum Mon 27-Jan-14 11:01:59

Owllady Mon 27-Jan-14 14:04:32

I don't use nobleman as I have a collie and it worries me confused

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 27-Jan-14 15:09:26

I assume nobleman maybe milbemax. The active ingredient in Advocate against lungworm is and avermectin which is the group that was a problem with Collie's though the actual problem was using ivermectin off licence. The active ingredient in milbemax is a milbemycin a subtlety different group.
Neither the active ingredient in advocate nor that in milbemax have been shown to cause a problem in Collies and both drugs had specific 'Collie' testing. There will always be individual reactions, but these occur no more in Collies than other breeds, in fact the worst reaction I have seen was in a Border Terrier.

Owllady Mon 27-Jan-14 15:13:15

I am sorry about nobleman, yes it was supposed to say milbemax. This tablet has a mind of its own, it has just called my friend a Gaylord too shock

That's interesting, what you say. We were told otherwise, so it's ingredient in advocate confused but it is ok now as long as it's under controlled conditions?

fluffysticks Mon 03-Feb-14 20:35:09

Finding this worming and flea treatment business very confusing. Following the advice above I asked at my vets for a prescription for activyl plus and milbemax. When I said I was going to give Milbemax monthly the nurse seemed puzzled and said every 3 months was the norm. As for the activyl she hadn't heard of it but the vet did prescribe it with a written note to ensure I read the instructions very carefully. The nurse said that must be because it was very strong. Prior to this I used Advocate monthly which the nurse told me would cover fluffydog for everything? Any more advice gratefully received.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 03-Feb-14 22:35:10

Advocate does not cover tapeworm or ticks so two huge gaps.
A lot of practices have been slow to catch on to the new lungworm licence for milbemax. I have tried to find a simple cost effective solution for my clients that controls fleas, ticks, lungworm, roundworm and tapeworm.

Butterflylovers Tue 04-Feb-14 07:07:49

I'm currently using advocate and drontal plus and bayer's own flea and tick collar. Do you have another recommendation that covers just as much or more?

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 04-Feb-14 07:46:14

The Activyl/milbemax combination does not cover Demodex and Scabies which that combination does, but to be frank they are unnecessary for the average dog, so personally I would say you don't need that level of cover.

fluffysticks Tue 04-Feb-14 09:08:55

Thanks for that Lonecat, much appreciated. So if Fluffydog weighs 27kg am I right in thinking that I should be giving him 2 milbemax tablets and one activyl plus large dog every month?

boobyooby Tue 04-Feb-14 09:14:28

I use panacur 10%, for lungworm you need to give a dose every day for 7 days otherwise worm every 3-6 months like normal. I use the granuls as find less mess (and I can trick the dog buy mixing it in with a bit of pate/mince) than the liquid.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 04-Feb-14 13:02:20

Yes fluffy you are correct.
Panacur has a licence to treat lungworm not to prevent it hence having to use so much as this is a treatment dose. Milbemax and Advocate prevent disease development.

daisydotandgertie Tue 04-Feb-14 14:21:49

lonecat what combination would you recommend for a bitch who is due to be mated in the next month? Labrador, 2.10 yrs, 27kg, fit and no known health problems?

I like to give a 'clearing out' treatment a month before mating and then nothing during pregnancy but wondered if up to date information might change that?

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 04-Feb-14 17:51:49

Daisy I'm going cop out on this one as pregnancy etc is off licence so you need a chat with your vet I'm afraid.

daisydotandgertie Tue 04-Feb-14 18:22:36

Hmm. I pretty much expected as much! Thank you though.

I will chat with my vet (and hope he is as well read as you with regard to up to date advice wink), but on balance expect I will stick to my tried and tested routine and avoid as much chemical input during pregnancy as I can manage :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now