Advanced search

Dog on last legs vs holiday dilemma.

(10 Posts)
AtYourCervix Tue 23-Jul-13 17:15:38

BigDog is old and knackered. Very wobbly back legs and tumours.

He's happy most of the time but failing. Last weekend his legs went and DH had to carry him out for wees.
Thought is was the end (again) but he improved and he's mostly better but still wobbly.

We are going on holiday on saturday. MiL is dogsitting. What if his legs go again? What if his lumps explode again? What if MiL has to make the decision?

What do I do?

topbannana Tue 23-Jul-13 19:19:10

First things first <expert in animals who go frail and limp the minute the cases appear>
Where are you going?
Are you insured?

AtYourCervix Tue 23-Jul-13 19:25:28

Going to Sharm. Not insured (too old and knackered)

I think it's time. He's having trouble getting up and just gave himself a nosebleed trying to poo.

ChickensHaveNoEyebrows Tue 23-Jul-13 19:27:27

Oh Cervix sad Time for the vet and a discussion about options?

RandomMess Tue 23-Jul-13 19:28:11

Oh dear, horrendous. It sounds like it's time and don't think it's fair on MIL to leave her dogsitting. So either cancel holiday or PTS very soon sad

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 23-Jul-13 19:34:15

In often make plans with my clients for exactly this kind of what if situation. We note them down on the records so people like your MIL are merely agreeing with your plan.
The vast majority of the time we don't need to use the plan.
Have a chat to your vet this really very common.

AtYourCervix Tue 23-Jul-13 19:39:48

Tomorrow. I'll do it tomorrow.

Both DDs are away tonight. I'll need to find out what time they'll be back.

topbannana Tue 23-Jul-13 19:41:33

Well Sharm is too far to pop back if there is an issue and if you are not insured then you will lose the cost of the holiday.
I think lonecat is right about speaking to your vet but personally I feel it's an awful burden for your MiL. You will also spend your holiday wondering and worrying.
So sorry you have to make his decision sad

AtYourCervix Tue 23-Jul-13 19:51:48

Oh. Holiday insurance. Yes. Got that.

But still. Unless he is dramatically better tomorrow I think its time.

DD1s not back till tomorrow evening though. Should I tell her? Or wait?

HoneyDragon Tue 23-Jul-13 21:58:42

Oh Cervix love. I don't think he'll improve this time sad if you do it this way you will know you've been with him.

My mum left her dog with the usual sitters when she went away last year, but with strict instructions to contact me to go down and make any decisions. We also had a long on versatile as to whether she wanted a phone call or to be told on her return.

Thankfully, the bugger waited till she got home. I didn't mind the burden, but my mum said it was a horrible conversation to have before leaving her sad


Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: