Advanced search

Oh my goodness, my dog attacked a puppy!

(11 Posts)
ijustwant8hours Sun 16-Jun-13 18:19:51

Walking today in quite a busy place and saw someone with a 4 month old border terrier, took my 11 month old to say hello. The owner asked if it woukd be ok and I said yes as my pup is usually fine with other dogs, enthusiastic maybe but not aggressive. Anyway it was very quickly all fur and teeth! Leads got tangled preventing quick separation. No one was hurt and the little puppy came up to me with its tail wagging as soon as my dog had been pulled off.

Not sure what to do now, do I just see if it happens again? Am a bit blush to be honest as it was such a nice little puppy!

Your dog's growing up, and doesn't much like little puppies grin I find that adolescent dogs are the worst for this, they seem to have zero patience with having their ears chewed.

ijustwant8hours Sun 16-Jun-13 19:50:16

Arrrggh, teenagers!

LEMisdisappointed Sun 16-Jun-13 19:55:02

Dog fights are often worse than they look. What sort of dog is yours?

I have two dogs, one is absolutely fine - he is castrated

The other is a git - he is fine with say, 75% of dogs, the other 25% he goes into "kill" mode. I no longer walk him off the lead unless we are in the woods and unlikely to come across other dogs. Also for some reason people don't get so upset if it kicks off in the woods - but the beach brigade of dog walkers do get terribly upset! He isn't castrated - i think that says it all.

LEMisdisappointed Sun 16-Jun-13 19:56:12

WHY did i type that dog fights are often worse than they look when i meant to say dog fights often look worse than they are!!! blush

Booboostoo Sun 16-Jun-13 23:32:10

We're both dogs still on leads? Twins rotten provokes aggression in itself. Either let them socialise off lead or keep them apart.

How severe was this attack? It is extremely rare for a dog to seriously attack a puppy, are you sure they were not just playing or having a minor 'put you in your place' first meeting?

ijustwant8hours Mon 17-Jun-13 11:44:23

No one was hurt, I think it might have been very dramatic looking play as they both looked quite pleased really, the whole place kind of hushed though as everyone watched! Mine is a border terrier as well.

He was out today and approached / was approached by several dogs while he was on and off lead with no scrapping so It doesn't look like a complete personality change.

ExitPursuedByABear Mon 17-Jun-13 11:45:34

Good luck with that then.

LEMisdisappointed Mon 17-Jun-13 12:34:24

I think dogs, like people will meet others that they dont like. Its just a case of being vigilant. I can now tell if he is going to kick off and pull him away, otherwise i allow him to approach. If he wasn't such an arse he could walk off lead, but hes an arse. He is a border terrier x - terriers are always going to be willfull.

That was a really helpful comment Exit hmm

I think you are right OP, probably just OTT play - your dog being the older and stronger dog - hes still a pup so that would be one of the first time to be "boss" I wouldnt let it spoil your walks, enjoy your dog.

ijustwant8hours Mon 17-Jun-13 14:19:53

Thanks Lem

Mother2many Wed 19-Jun-13 15:43:10

ijustwant8hours: I'm sure you were embarrassed and upset. You didn't expect it to happen.

I know my 3 yr old is starting to do that!! So, I have enrolled her into obedience classes! As acting like that on lead is not acceptable...

I not walking or introducing her to other dogs on lead, until then...

Glad things are okay....


Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now