Talk

Advanced search

Puppy Pyoderma

(7 Posts)

When the pup had his second jabs at 10 weeks, I pointed out these weird bumps on his belly. She diagnosed puppy pyoderma, and gave us a weeks worth of antibiotics. They didn't seem to bother him and he finished the course. The rash cleared up. Three weeks later, (last Friday evening) I noticed a blister on his tummy, and took him back (last Saturday). By then, he had several large pus filled blisters. Again, puppy pyoderma was diagnosed and now we have 10 days worth of antibiotics. He's very sleepy today, and scratching at his ears a bit. I bathed him in malaseb too, to see if it would soothe him. Has anyone else's pup had this? Did it recur? Can't help worrying about the little guy.

needastrongone Mon 03-Jun-13 17:10:00

I haven't heard of this Chickens but hope he's ok. Is he sleepy or lethargic? Puppies do have sleepy days and it's hot too which doesn't help matters.

Arudonto Mon 03-Jun-13 18:11:05

What food is he on?and what breed is he?

it could be an underlying food intolerance setting off the symptoms in the skin and ears

He's on Burns Puppy/Mini bites, and he's a cocker/poodle cross. The vet seemed to think it wouldn't be a food allergy because he's on Burns, but might be grass. Which will be rather difficult to eliminate <watches snoozy puppy stretched out, face down, on lawn>

He has slept a lot today, Need, but it could be the heat I suppose. He's eating and drinking well, just quite cuddly. No mad dashes around the living room so far.

needastrongone Tue 04-Jun-13 20:40:02

How is he today?

He seems a bit brighter, thanks for asking smile The spots are scabbing over. He's sleeping a lot, but I think that might be more the antibiotics/heat combo than actual illness.

Slavetothechild Wed 05-Jun-13 15:04:18

We have a lot of experience of this pm me if you want and I will give you my phone number or I can email you. The pup should be on antibiotics and steroids . This may take quite a while and get worse before it gets better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now