Talk

Advanced search

English Springer Spaniel owners ?

(14 Posts)
Pollydon Sun 02-Jun-13 20:27:58

After 20 yrs of not having a dog due to working hours, we have decided to go for it when dh retires properly in about 6 months.
He is keen on English springer spaniels. I have owned collies & lurchers previously.
So, would a springer be happy with us ? We have a medium sized garden, but have a park area at the end of the street, we are near a beach & would be able to manage 2 x 1 hr walks per day.. Also, Ive taken up running, would a springer be a good running companion ?
Thanks in advance Polly

janey1234 Sun 02-Jun-13 20:34:17

I love springers. Had one growing up and she was adorable - if I'm ever in a position to get a dog it's definitely the dog is go for.
My dad used to take her running with him when he did his training for marathons and she loved it. She also loved going on bike rides with us all and would run about three times as far as any of us would cycle!
She had a lot if energy and needed a lot of exercise when she was younger, but we only had medium sized gardens and as long as she was walked she was fine.
She was well trained, gentle, loving and good fun and I still miss her, 20 years on.
Please get one so I can live vicariously through you! wink

INeedtoDrinkLess Sun 02-Jun-13 20:35:11

Sounds perfect to me, I was brought up with springers and now own a cocker as couldn't see how we could cope with the energy level of a springer.
Our first springer was manic, I mean really bonkers, you jingled his lead at the door and he assumed he was due a 20 mile hike even after a 10 miler with the family - completely bonkers, but really really lovely temperament.
Next 2 springers lightly less bonkers, but always happy with lots of exercise, especially when young.
The only thing to watch is not giving them too much exercise when v young, my dad was marathon training with our first, and probably ran him too much too young (he 'needed it' in terms of expending the energy but in the long run it probably caused him some arthritis in old age.)
They are lovely dogs, 2 one hour walks a day would be ideal, I am impressed that you will manage that. Lucky dog!
Enjoy!

cansleepanywhere Sun 02-Jun-13 20:35:34

I used to have a springer, he was CRAZY but lovely. I could take him to the woods for the whole day with a packed lunch and he'd still be up for more! I must say that he didn't calm down until about 6 months before he died. He was amazing....as long as you've got the energy... go for it!!!

INeedtoDrinkLess Sun 02-Jun-13 20:37:52

janey1234 oh yes that's exactly my memories of our springers!
Love them!

INeedtoDrinkLess Sun 02-Jun-13 20:39:37

pollydon think you have found your perfect dog!
And the puppies are soooooo adorable!!

Tell us you have decided 'YES' please grin

Pollydon Sun 02-Jun-13 20:43:46

Thanks for replying everyone ! Dh will be doing morning walk & I will do evening walk\run. We are so excited, really have missed having a furry friend in our family.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Sun 02-Jun-13 20:46:59

Yes, perfect for you.

Mine is two and lives happily with a 4 yo and a baby. He is so gentle and lovely. He can go out for hours and hours (runs with us, swims a lot) but also loves to just chill out. Not at all loopy when at home - just crazy when out. He's very, very easy to train.

headlesslambrini Sun 02-Jun-13 20:47:57

we have one - she is completely mad. can get very possessive over her toys but is getting better with this as she gets older. She is 18 months now. She has loads of energy and must have a good walk or she just barks. Her tail can give you a pretty mean whip when she is excited.

As a breed, they love water so make sure you have somewhere they can get bathed on a regular basis.

We had a collie before and if I'm honest I would have another collie over a springer but that's me.

INeedtoDrinkLess Sun 02-Jun-13 20:53:23

I am very jealous, though puppy stage we found exhausting (especially with new born DS -we didn't plan dog and puppy (that would obviously be STUPID!!!, right???!) but DS long awaited but never thought he would materialise, long story! So new born and puppy we had. Never again!!

Do all your puppy homework, I'm sure you will, and enjoy your springer - how wonderful!

(Cocker on [forbidden] sofa next to me now - that's something for you to look forward to! She snores for Britain!

INeedtoDrinkLess Sun 02-Jun-13 20:57:04

headless is right about the tails - our cocker's tail is lethal, my parents' springers always were docked, hate to think of the energy in those!

My DS and his friends have learned to steer clear of the tail, but it can whip the unassuming cup of coffee glass of wine if you're not careful

EarlGreyTeabag Sun 02-Jun-13 21:03:32

Springers are wonderful, we have three!

They are bonkers when young & have loads of energy, but they are the perfect family dog.

It can be a bit tricky running with a springer as they always want to follow scents, so they can't run in a straight line. If you try to run with one on a lead they will zigzag in front of you - which can be a bit dangerous as I know to my cost having tripped over my running companion a couple of times!

Pollydon Mon 03-Jun-13 07:42:18

That's ok Earl , I don't run in a straight line either smile*Ineed*, we've got 6 months to do puppy homework \ prepare.
Eek !

dottygamekeeper Mon 03-Jun-13 18:33:55

Just another vote for springers here - ours was 8 last Friday - she was very energetic in her younger days, but is calmer now, though still loves long walks and playing with her ball. She is very gentle and affectionate, great with the children (well, teenagers now - but has been a great stress reliever during the GCSEs) and very communicative. I had always had terriers before and was not keen when my DH came home and announced he had seen a springer puppy but she really is the best dog I have ever had.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now