Talk

Advanced search

Best prevention for ticks

(16 Posts)
lulu2 Sun 02-Jun-13 14:35:05

Found a tick on my puppy today. Managed to remove it but chatted to vet and she recommended a tick collar, sounds good but costs £39.
Could use frontline but that doesn't protect against lungworm.
What is the best way forward?

coffeeinbed Sun 02-Jun-13 14:40:54

I use Advantix, personally.
Well, for the dog.
Whether it protects for lungworms I don't know, but better something than no protection at all.
Have had to remove ticks from dog and its not fun.

lulu2 Sun 02-Jun-13 14:43:07

I am still feeling itchy and yucky about the tick! They are gross.
Thanks for the advice.

coffeeinbed Sun 02-Jun-13 14:45:43

Frontline or similar wont prevent ticks from latching on though, just make it safer gor the dog.

topbannana Sun 02-Jun-13 17:34:15

Last year we used the Seresto collar from the vets (was about £25 IIRC) as we were going to the south of France where there is "something" we don't have tabs that none

topbannana Sun 02-Jun-13 17:35:56

Sorry....
None of our preventative treatments cover, only this collar. GingerDog, who is normally a tick magnet never had one all year. Also the collar lasted for about 9 months so I would recommend it smile

idirdog Sun 02-Jun-13 17:40:21

Advantix or seresto collar for ticks and fleas. Collar lasts for 8 months, Advantix needs to be done monthly

Advocate for lungworm monthly can not be done at same time as advantix
Drontal for tape worm 3 monthly.

We do need one product to cover the lot smile

idirdog Sun 02-Jun-13 17:42:56

If you are going to the south of France you may have been offered the scalibur collar as these protect against sand fly as well

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 02-Jun-13 20:22:01

I have two tick magnets and the moment seresto was launched last year he got one. If I wasn't a vet I would still be using it as it is cheaper than 8 treatments of advantix and will last the whole season - now till November. Tick magnet dog and cat have not had a single tick in 16months total delighted with it. Keeps working no matter how often he swims. Dog is ground breed used for agility I have had no problems with collar catching no matter how mad he is doing his 'ground' thing in the undergrowth.

topbannana Sun 02-Jun-13 21:05:44

Sorry to pick your professional brains lonecat but if I buy Seresto collars, do I still need Advocate?
I currently pay for a pet health plan so get Advocate every month and worm treatment every 3(?) months. I was so thrilled with the Seresto collar that we are considering buying them again but if I do then can I stop the other?

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 02-Jun-13 21:22:00

Seresto only does fleas and ticks. Advocate also does roundworm and lungworm. My practices health plan includes a seresto collar and 12 treatments of advocate.

lulu2 Sun 02-Jun-13 21:45:37

Thanks for that lonecat. Sorry to sound dim but is it uncomfy for dog to wear seresto collar and ordinary collar together?

idirdog Sun 02-Jun-13 21:45:38

What do you do for tapeworm?

topbannana Sun 02-Jun-13 21:46:19

hmm I was sold a Seresto collar to combat a certain French nasty whose name escapes me now.
I also do not get a collar with my plan which I feel is quite pricey anyway.
Though on the other hand I get 10% of off most treatment at my practise. This has spurred my furry family into the longest run of good health we have ever managed grin

topbannana Sun 02-Jun-13 21:46:47

Sorry lonecat I meant to say thank you thanks

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 02-Jun-13 22:12:31

Iridog we also include two tapeworm treatments per year as well as the advocate and seresto collar. We are sadly in a lungworm and Lyme disease area so have to belt and braces.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now