Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Rough play

(4 Posts)
MillyMollyMandy78 Thu 30-May-13 12:53:54

We have two dogs: a 2 1/2 year old king charles spaniel and a 11 month old sheltie. They both get on well together and our puppy dotes on our older dog. She adores him and he is a typical spaniel: friendly and wants to be everyones friends. They are both neutered and we give them plenty of walks/ play and affection.

However, since very little our sheltie has been quite nippy with our other dog. They both enjoy playing together but when she gets carried away she sometims bites him quite hard. We have found a few small scabs previously which we suspected was where she has bit too hard, but couldn't be sure. This morning I was upset to find 2 clear puncture marks on his chesk and one on the back of his neck where she has drawn blood.
Is this normal?

I do fully believe she is not meaning to be aggressive as it is only in play and she is generally quite a submissive dog but I don't know what to do. Our older dog is so gentle that he carries on playing or if she really hurts him he will yelp and go away from her. She doesn't seem to understand that this is a sign that she has gone too far. She will only stop this play fighting when we intervene.

I feel that we have tried everything to stop this... We have been firm and stopped her from being rough, rewarded en both for good, gentle play and have even forced ourselves to take a step back in the hope that our older dog will put her in her place. We also treat our older dog as the clear alpha dog - feeding/ greeting him first etc. What else can I try?

GoSuckEggs Thu 30-May-13 13:02:33

what if your older dog just is not the alpha dog? why treat them any differently? let them work it out for themself.

you would not think my lab was the boss, he is very laid back, the other dog will take his food etc. but when my laid back lab takes a stand the other dog backs down straight away.

LEMisdisappointed Thu 30-May-13 13:08:13

i have two terriers, there is constant terrier war going on and from the outside it looks quite aggressive, but they never draw blood. Has your sheltie got its puppy teeth still?

MillyMollyMandy78 Thu 30-May-13 17:10:07

No, all adult teeth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now