Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Alternatives to peanut butter???

(19 Posts)
cansleepanywhere Tue 28-May-13 21:28:12

I must have the only puppy in the world that doesn't like peanut butter in her kong. Are there any alternatives of the same consistency?

I've tried frozen yoghurt and cream cheese, both of which she likes....both of which have left creamy hard to shift marks on my rug!

Cheers

HerrenaHarridan Tue 28-May-13 21:34:33

Pâté smile

tabulahrasa Tue 28-May-13 21:36:19

Mine doesn't believe me that peanut butter is food either, stupid dog keeps trying to eat coins, but looked at me like I was insane for giving him peanut butter. hmm

Pouches of dog food work pretty well.

cansleepanywhere Tue 28-May-13 22:08:19

Ooh, I love the pate idea, will have to fight the French husband for it. grin

I've just had to put her supper in a kong this evening, if it's in the bowl it's just not exciting enough confused

cansleepanywhere Tue 28-May-13 22:10:48

tabulahrasa

Tried putting peanut butter on my arm this evening to do a bit of bite inhibition with her, she looked at me like I'd truly lost the plot blush

tabulahrasa Tue 28-May-13 22:31:34

I got the same disturbed look for banana...

Scrambled eggs were acceptable though, I mostly put chicken in mine tbh, it takes him longer to finish than other things.

Kleptronic Wed 29-May-13 00:47:17

My border collie doesn't look at the peanut butter either, at all. Cheese spread however goes down a treat, as does pate and mackerel. Bit whiffy but he likes that the best after cheese.

I put mouldy/hard cheese in with cheese spread and freeze it, lasts for ages. He's a proper cheese hound and will pinch the knife off the counter if I leave it out! <slattern> Only thing he's ever stolen.

thegriffon Wed 29-May-13 08:53:25

Anything you put in a kong is likely to make a mess on a rug, unless your dog is an amazingly tidy eater smile. Mine would leave a lot more than creamy hard to shift marks, he loves his kong and drools everywhere and chucks it about to try and dislodge the food. When he was a puppy he had kongs in his crate with all bedding removed to make clean up easier. Now has them on the lawn or in the utility room so I can mop up afterwards.

BeeBawBabbity Thu 06-Jun-13 18:10:49

I put cheap chicken/beef/ham sandwich spread in my dog's kong. She LOVES it. The shop had jars of gourmet stilton and roast chicken stuff knocked down to 25p (no wonder, it reeks) and I swear her eyes go all spirally when I get it out the cupboard!

Vibbe Thu 06-Jun-13 20:12:28

We've found these spreads with chicken, liver, fish and so on in the supermarket. The dog loves it. It's cheap and the ones in tubes last for a long time in the fridge.
Kong makes some chicken-stuff to put in the Kongs - you might be able to find it in the pet shops. Our dog loves that too.

SilverSky Sun 09-Jun-13 21:11:25

Cream Cheese
Pâté
Frankfurters
Banana
Tripe

MeerkatMerkin Sun 09-Jun-13 21:14:17

Pâté is a bit rich for them no? Always was for my dogs. I would recommend just wet dog food, not chunks, the mushed stuff. I used to use bakers complete chicken. Bungs it up nicely, especially if you stick it in the freezer overnight beforehand. smile

hortensemancini Mon 10-Jun-13 08:06:13

I get value smoked mackerel fillets, some value cream cheese, whizz the two together in the food processor and use it to smear in Kongs. The dogs. Go. Mad. For. It.

Canidae Mon 10-Jun-13 13:00:50

Oooh these are some good ideas as my sheppy doesn't like peanut butter either. Is it ok to freeze wet dog food?

SilverSky Mon 10-Jun-13 13:14:20

I also recommend mackerel/pilchards/sardines in tomato sauce.

ijustwant8hours Mon 10-Jun-13 13:22:06

Left over porridge is our top kong filler! When it starts to go a bit hard!

TheseGoToEleven Mon 10-Jun-13 23:25:45

Can you get Cheez Whiz in the UK? This was recommended to me by our trainer.

hortensemancini Tue 11-Jun-13 09:48:32

If you're feeling flush, Fish4dogs do sachets of salmon mousse (v good for tempting ailing invalids) which could can squeeze straight into the Kong by snipping off a corner. I sometimes do a thin layer of that, then wedge some kibble from their supper in.

janmoomoo Fri 14-Jun-13 16:18:41

Ijustwant8hours - Porridge, that is genius, it will take him ages to work on that. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now