Talk

Advanced search

Why wont they play outside.

(9 Posts)
squeelybean Fri 24-May-13 14:36:07

I really am stuck and cant work out why the dogs will run riot indoors, rolling around, toy tugging, growling, snarling and winding each other up whilst running up and down my hallway like lunatics but as soon as i boot them outside they both stop and sit at the backdoor waiting to come back inconfused As soon as they come inside it all starts again!

The puppy cant go out for walks until Tues because of his jabs but i just dont understand whats going wrong with the outdoor play. I've bought loads of new toys so i can rotate and keep them interested but they are all bought straight back in and taken to the kitchen.

I need a despair smiley!

Any ideas?

BastardDog Fri 24-May-13 14:38:35

If its as cold and windy where you are as it is here, I don't blame them. My dog hates being outdoors on days like today, but on a warm day, he potters around the garden or snoozes on the patio.

squeelybean Fri 24-May-13 14:45:26

I feel a bit embarrassed as i hadnt even given the shit weather a thoughtblush

Its not rainy here but it is windy so maybe you are right and its as simple as that.

Bollocks, i hope the weather improves soon or i'm not going to have any carpet left or i'm going to end up with broken legs with the dippy Lab slamming into me with his new found excitement and zest for life!

Bowlersarm Fri 24-May-13 14:46:55

Because you're inside and they want to be with you?

squeelybean Fri 24-May-13 14:49:07

I dont think i'm the attraction,, even when i stand outside with them they both look at me with tilted heads whilst sat at the backdoorconfused

Heh. Mine are the very same. In fact, they prefer to play right under my legs when I'm sitting on the sofa. If I move, they jump up and follow me, and then resume rolling around by my legs/on my feet hmm Outside, they sniff about and ignore each other <eyeroll>

Bowlersarm Fri 24-May-13 15:07:10

Mine are with me wherever I am. In the house they follow me (not allowed upstairs though so aha an escape) and in the garden they follow me too.

squeelybean Fri 24-May-13 15:10:22

Thats so funny chicken, my shins and feet should be black and blue considering how many times the dogs have bashed them when i'm sat down working hard on mumsnetgrin

We've got a lovely big bit of fenced off garden but they wont use it, me and the coffee table are obviously much more fun.

moosemama Fri 24-May-13 15:47:18

Do you play with them in the garden yourself?

Just a thought, but perhaps they don't associate the garden with playing - just a place to do your business and have a bit of a sniff about? Could they possibly need to be taught that gardens are a great place to have a game?

My two did used to play in the garden, but since we lost oldgirl last month, poor old lurcherboy doesn't know what to do with himself outside, he just stands there looking lost. sad If I pick up a toy, go out with him and start running around, throwing toys etc he soon perks up and joins in.

Have to agree about the weather today though. It's blowing a gale out there and lurcherboy has so far flatly refused to even go out for a wee. (He's such a big old wuss and really hates the wind. grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now