Talk

Advanced search

MMM and Behavioral Issues - Experts Please (and Cleas)

(8 Posts)
LtEveDallas Mon 20-May-13 12:30:41

Hi all, posting for a friend.

Background - I posted this a couple of months ago:

Does anyone have any knowledge / experience of this?

Friends dog is currently waiting on a diagnosis. 10 days ago the dogs head started to look swollen, but at the time the dog had conjunctivitis and problems with her teeth, so owner thought it was probably that.

She took the dog to the vets this morning and the vet (who is also a personal friend) has now suggested MMM as a possibility. Dog is still at the vets and they are waiting test results.

The vet is starting on steroids straight away, but my friend is understandably beside herself looking at worst case scenarios on the WWW. Vet was also really upset

Dog is a 2 (ish) year old Rottie that my friend took on (rescue) after losing her other 2 rotties in a horrible 2 month period before Xmas. Friend has only had her for 8 weeks and she is already gone through so much (dog was never walked, likely beaten, scared of everything, previous owners claimed she had bitten so needed to be PTS but thankfully the vet called bullshit and called in my friend)

I suppose what I am after is some good news stories. Friend is lovely and a crazy rescue lady . She always takes on the waifs and strays and problem children, and I think its going to kill her if she loses this dog on top of losing the others

We are a couple of months further on now. Diagnosis was definately MMM and Dog has been on high dose steroids ever since.

Dogs behaviour is becoming a serious concern. She is now very food agressive, constantly grumpy with other furry animals, constantly hungry. She is unpredicable - you can be fussing her one minute, walk away from her and its as if she forgets who you are and starts barking. She has attacked my friends other animals over the weekend, but today she is in the office with us and is fine with my dog.

Could the steriods be causing this?

If not, could she have issues as a result of her previous owners?

Would a behaviourist help if it is steroids

These are the first questions, I'd really appreciate any help/experience.

I'll answer questions as best I can - just about to dog walk, but will be back in 45 mins.

Please help - friend is cut to pieces thinking that she may have to PTS sad

LtEveDallas Mon 20-May-13 19:48:32

Bumping for the evening crowd. Please, does anyone know anything about dogs on steroids?

Turniphead1 Mon 20-May-13 23:17:03

Bump. I feel so bad for your friend. But I has to google MM so am clearly no help.

LtEveDallas Tue 21-May-13 05:06:05

Thanks anyway Turniphead, I must admit neither of us had heard of it before it happened. Google is helping with the MMM, but not the sudden aggression. I was just hoping that someone else had some ideas.

Jayne266 Tue 21-May-13 05:16:04

I have seen this less than a handful of times I am off to work so I will post tonight if someone hasn't gave you some advice first.

LtEveDallas Tue 21-May-13 07:01:18

Thanks Jayne, I'd really appreciate it thanks

idirdog Tue 21-May-13 07:44:02

Yes steroids can cause some of the symptoms so she needs to get straight back to the vet for a discussion.

LtEveDallas Tue 21-May-13 07:59:40

Idirdog. She was going to the vet last night, so hopefully will have some answers. It's just such an awkward situation. The dog cannot survive without the steroids, but can the household cope with the dog whilst she is on them? My friend cannot put her other animals at risk for the dogs sake, but doesn't want to give up on the dog.

I think what she wants is some hope that once she has the all clear from the MMM things will settle down - ie its only the steroids causing the aggression. Rock & hard place I feel sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now