Advanced search

Opinions on spaying age

(14 Posts)
mycatoscar Sun 19-May-13 20:35:34

Puppy is 7 months, nearly 8. She hasn't yet had her first season and vet advised to wait until after this to book her in for spaying.

But, we are going away in july and leaving her with our dog walker who home boards dogs including an entire male.

So do I just get her spayed soon? Or hope it doesn't happen while we are away?

Bakingtins Sun 19-May-13 20:45:42

Talk to your vet again. We spay either at 6m which is normally well before a season, or 3m after first season (in breeds predisposed to developing urinary incontinence) or 3m after any season for older bitches. We wouldn't spay if we suspect they are coming into season, (which dependent on breed she could be soon) but there are hormonal treatment which can delay a season if you are worried about her coming in whilst you are away.

mycatoscar Sun 19-May-13 20:47:30

She is a border collie x Labrador.

Bakingtins Sun 19-May-13 20:51:14

Well would expect her to be the later end of the normal 9-15m for first season then. If vet doesn't think she is about to have season you may be able to get her done now.

nohalfmeasures Sun 19-May-13 20:51:16

If you spay before a first season you get protection against mammary tumours, I think.
If you wait till they've had one season there is a bit of protection, and if they've had 2 seasons there is none.

TheChimpParadox Sun 19-May-13 20:57:54

Or lab was done at 8 months - vet happy to do after 6 months , gave her a thorough check over on morning of op just to make sure there was no sign of season.

We has same dilemma as you - going away and didn't know when she was going to be in season - but she was coming with us and we were camping and last thing I wanted whilst camping was a dog in season on dog friendly site - carnage !

I am surprised that your dog walker is happy to home board her with males if she doesn't know when she doesn't know when her season is going to be.

mycatoscar Sun 19-May-13 21:04:12

Actually I should have added, dog walker will not walk or board dogs in season so really if it did happen then we would have to make alternative arrangements or cancel the holiday. This is my dilemma. Also, whether spaying her before the first season would be dangerous for her.

I think I need to talk to my vet.

TheChimpParadox Sun 19-May-13 21:05:58

I think vets are divided on this issue.

Blistory Sun 19-May-13 21:07:43

My vet advised that its no longer clear that only spaying prior to first season brings the benefits stated and that as long as they're done before the third season, they still get the benefit re mammary tumours.

I would change kennels/ delay holiday/ speak to vet about delaying season rather than spay a birch who may not be physically mature.

mycatoscar Sun 19-May-13 21:13:45

Thanks everyone

She isn't going to kennels, she is going to her regular dog walker who she adores, so that cannot change.

The date of the holiday cannot be changed. But obviously could be cancelled completely at great cost.

Think speaking to the vet is my next move.

She is my pfdog and want the best for her smile

Bakingtins Mon 20-May-13 07:21:46

I did my final yr research project on the link between mammary tumours and spaying. A large proportion of mammary tumours are hormone dependent and the protective effect of spaying is greatest if they never have a season and reduces with each subsequent season. I'd agree that once they've had several seasons you no longer get this protection. The surgery is more straightforward before they've had a season. The only negative to doing it early is an increased risk of sphincter mechanism incontinence in later life, particularly in later maturing breeds.
I don't think vets are "divided" but there are valid arguments either way, so it depends on individual circumstances.

mycatoscar Mon 20-May-13 12:32:09

Spoke to vet and she goes in friday for the op. they said there is no problem and that although their advice is after 1st season, they regularly spay younger dogs due to various circumstances. Plus I'm off on half term next week so I can be there for her recovery 24/7.

mycatoscar Mon 20-May-13 12:32:34

Thank you for all the advice everyone too grin

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 20-May-13 14:10:04

Baking trays did you look at that mega study from 2000 that found no link between spaying prior to the first season and urinary incontience?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: